View Poll Results: What is the largest CoC you can close with either hand individually?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guide ("G"): 60 lbs

0 0%
  • Sport ("S"): 80 lbs

2 2.63%
  • Trainer ("T"): 100 lbs

9 11.84%
  • Point Five: 120 lbs

4 5.26%
  • No. 1: 140 lbs

22 28.95%
  • No. 1.5: 167.5 lbs

18 23.68%
  • No. 2: 195 lbs

16 21.05%
  • No 2.5: 237.5 lbs

5 6.58%
  • No. 3: 280 lbs

0 0%
  • No. 3.5: 322.5 lbs

0 0%
  • No. 4: 365 lbs

0 0%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Captains of Crush Grippers: What's your grip strength?

Captains of Crush Grippers: What's your grip strength?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post
    The Reeves lifts actually made my banged up shoulders feel better, which seems counter-intuitive.
    Jacked up shoulders is the second thing I thought of. Wonder why it helped your shoulders? Any ideas?

Oh, my first thought was "don't piss off Paul."

Edit just realized that may not be you. But I still wouldn't want to piss you off.
    Last edited by MGW; 11-22-2016 at 09:03 PM.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post
    The Reeves lifts actually made my banged up shoulders feel better, which seems counter-intuitive.
    I've read that farmer's walks are great for messed up shoulders. Maybe there's something to the action of resisting against a load vs actively working the shoulder? Farmer's and Turkish get ups do seem to help my shoulder and neither is really a "shoulder exercise" per se.

For tennis elbow-like stuff I got great results using a Therabar. You can google it, but basically you hold it in the messed up hand, twist it with the other hand, and release the tension with the messed up one. Sort of the reverse of twisting a motorcycle throttle.

Has anyone used something like Fat Gripz? Gym doesn't have fat bars but I wonder if those might be worth a try just to mix things up.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Jacked up shoulders is the second thing I thought of. Wonder why it helped your shoulders? Any ideas?

Oh, my first thought was "don't piss off Paul."

Edit just realized that may not be you. But I still wouldn't want to piss you off.
    That's not me, I'm pretty easy going. Eric is a little more..., excitable?

I think the action of stretching and strengthening is what helped. I'm not 100% on that, but one of the things I picked up from the Donnie Thompson guys was to do more hanging from chinning bars to help my shoulders and that has really helped. Their thoughts are it is a combination of stretching and strengthening that's happening when we hang from the bar.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

Site Supporter
    All the individual gear and methods work here. I have tried many of them, especially those connected with progressive resistance. IMHO, for those who "only" want to work on proper hand strength for shooting, I have found nothing to increase what I call tensile grip strength (critical for shooting - again, IMHO) - better than the Gripmaster, which I had started a thread about recently. It's particularly good for not making the small hand/finger joints inflamed, something very important for me as I have pretty significant osteoarthritis.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    All the individual gear and methods work here. I have tried many of them, especially those connected with progressive resistance. IMHO, for those who "only" want to work on proper hand strength for shooting, I have found nothing to increase what I call tensile grip strength (critical for shooting - again, IMHO) - better than the Gripmaster, which I had started a thread about recently. It's particularly good for not making the small hand/finger joints inflamed, something very important for me as I have pretty significant osteoarthritis.
    Holding Drills are quite effective in building grip strength and endurance.

I can close a 2 with either hand. I think COC grippers ok for occasionally measuring grip strength, and in hindsight are a pretty bad idea for grip strength training.

Grip force fat grips are great for grip training. Loosely wrapping an old T shirt around a bar will work too.
    http://www.roguefitness.com/grip4orce

Edited: Grip4orce for pulling, Fatgripz for pressing. If you plan on benching and can only afford one get Fatgripz.

Wrist rollers are often overlooked, but are good for working the flexors and extensors.

Gada mace training is great for the grip and shoulders. I use a Kabuki Stength Shoulderok, but that's a lot of coin and DIY stuff will work well too.

Overhead carries, waiter carries, and combination suitcase/waiter carries, will work the grip and help build stability throughout the body and probably be more useful for developing the body for recoil management than exercises that focus on just grip strength.
    Last edited by txdpd; 11-24-2016 at 11:37 AM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Holding Drills are quite effective in building grip strength and endurance.

Great link - thanks for posting it.

#2 with each hand but I've gotten away from CoC lately. It's becoming too easy to overdo it.

I can close a #2 both left & right handed. I have two cousins that are Mash Monster #5 certified beasties.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I have had issues with tendintis/tennis elbow/etc, too. I started using the Power Ball and that cleared up quite quickly.

https://powerballs.com/

I don't use it as much as I should, but it seemed to really help clear up my forearm issues.
    You find these work well? I have developed some tennis elbow that I would like to make go away. I row a lot so my grip strength is already pretty good and despite what some think good technique actually stretches the arms rather than over uses them.

User Tag List