View Poll Results: What is the largest CoC you can close with either hand individually?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guide ("G"): 60 lbs

0 0%
  • Sport ("S"): 80 lbs

2 2.63%
  • Trainer ("T"): 100 lbs

9 11.84%
  • Point Five: 120 lbs

4 5.26%
  • No. 1: 140 lbs

22 28.95%
  • No. 1.5: 167.5 lbs

18 23.68%
  • No. 2: 195 lbs

16 21.05%
  • No 2.5: 237.5 lbs

5 6.58%
  • No. 3: 280 lbs

0 0%
  • No. 3.5: 322.5 lbs

0 0%
  • No. 4: 365 lbs

0 0%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Captains of Crush Grippers: What's your grip strength?

Quote Originally Posted by Talionis View Post
    I offer this question as a counterpoint: Would you rather have the hand strength combined with correct technique that would allow you to shoot lights out with even poorly fit handguns, or would you prefer to base your shooting technique on guns that are perfectly fit to your hand? Personally, I enjoy being able to pick up everything from J-frames through 1911's and Glocks up to 2011's and be able to work the trigger rapidly on each for accurate hits using the "crutch" of a vice-like grip.

For reference, before I stopped working with them, I could just barely close #2's with both hands.
    This is where I am too.
    Having shot 20+ different handguns in steel challenge events over the last 2+ years, (from KelTec PF 9's to 455 Webley's) I have a really appreciation for, and I would say a need
    for, a good firm if not hard grip. I am no TGO, but I agree that one can have a loosest of grip and hit just fine...ONCE...add speed and healthy grip is important.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I have had issues with tendintis/tennis elbow/etc, too. I started using the Power Ball and that cleared up quite quickly.

https://powerballs.com/

I don't use it as much as I should, but it seemed to really help clear up my forearm issues.
    That's interesting, I will totally check these out.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

TC,

Which power ball do you have? With your hair, why am I not surprised to find that you have powerballs...:-)

Captains of Crush Grippers: What's your grip strength?

All of these grip gimmicky gadgets do not fully develop your grip strength and will eventually lead to injury. Like a few have already suggested, just lift heavy $hit. Deads, variations of farmers carries (full jerry cans, bumper plates, barbells, hex side of dumbbells, etc), weighted pull-ups, cleans, snatches, sandbag throws, etc. A properly programmed strength and conditioning plan will be more than sufficient to enhance your grip strength.
    Last edited by bravo7; 11-19-2016 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    My 85 lb olympic shrug bar has over sized handles which are great for grip work. My standard 45 lb olympic shrug bar has, well, standard diameter grips.

BTW, I sold my set of CoC grippers and enjoy using the Ivanko Super Gripper in their place.

I love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    One thing that I think is important to bear in mind is that training the grip can lead to, or exacerbate forearm / elbow issues (epicondylitis etc) unless some time is spent working the extensor muscles:

These exercises have helped me tremendously, as well as the occasional use of the BandIT when forearm or elbow support / relief is called for :

The Iron Mind bands were almost solely responsible for fixing a few issues in one hand.

Quote Originally Posted by bravo7 View Post
    All of these grip gimmicky gadgets do not fully develop your grip strength and will eventually lead to injury. Like a few have already suggested, just lift heavy $hit. Deads, variations of farmers carries (full jerry cans, bumper plates, barbells, hex side of dumbbells, etc), weighted pull-ups, cleans, snatches, sandbag throws, etc. A properly programmed strength and conditioning plan will be more than sufficient to enhance your grip strength.
    This is where I'm at now, with some extensor band work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I found a lot of success by doing weighted pull-ups with a 35lb plate on a belt. In fact it was so effective that I decided never to do unweighted ones again, but, not having a particularly good setup for belting on the plate, I just incorporated the extra weight naturally on my beltline. Totally easy and makes your pulls and chins WAY more challenging. I recommend it.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Hangs help too, not to mention the shoulder issues they can fix.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Hangs help too, not to mention the shoulder issues they can fix.

Please elaborate on the shoulder issue fixing. I'm curious as it is shoulder pain that limits my hang time.

Quote Originally Posted by CDH View Post
    Please elaborate on the shoulder issue fixing. I'm curious as it is shoulder pain that limits my hang time.

That hanging video and closely related that display on Youtube are pretty interesting dude. Thanks!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List