Thread: Trim Pro 2 problem...

Trim Pro 2 problem...

So I'm trying to trim a bunch of .223/5.56 brass, only the most common, popular cartridge in the entire country, and this damn thing won't hold onto the case rims ! Called RCBS already, they sent out a new set of jaws, that actually made it worse. A forum member on another forum had a similar issue, they sent him some extra Belleville washers. He had some spares and sent me one, that didn't help either. Will be calling Big Green back on Monday, but in the meantime, I'm at a standstill with 600+ cases waiting to be run through the trimmer. Anyone got any bright ideas as to how to get this thing to do what it's supposed to do? Thanks.

Dave

Well, I guess no one has had this issue . But just in case someone does, I think I figured out a fix. The jaws for the universal shell holder are stamped steel, of course, and thus, are NOT flat on the back side, a few strokes across a diamond stone will verify that. They're also not consistent in thickness, the original set measured .815", the replacements from RCBS were .825, no wonder it was worse with the new jaws. Couple this with the rather thin rim of the .223 case, and it's a recipe for aggravation. But there is a cure . I took the originals and worked them across my diamond stone until the backs were completely flat, much like honing a plane iron, (yeah, I know, dated myself there) which brought the thickness down to about .805". That seems to have done the trick, I ran a couple hundred through it, including the ones that it wouldn't hold before, with zero failures. Later.

Dave

User Tag List