Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Life Hacks Thread

I tend to default to Unisom (doxylamine succinate) over Benedryl/ diphenhydramine to get my sleep on.
    Half a tab usually works, except on a long airplane flight.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Some parents, and at least one comedian, refer to liquid children's benadryl as nite-nite juice.
    BTDT... Great for airplane rides!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    I find Melatonin helpful fighting jet-lag. Stay up until at least 2200 local time, take melatonin (3mg for me), sleep.
    Usually 2-3 days and I'm feeling pretty local. Just in time to fly home. LOL.

Flying to Europe just plain sucks. I can never find a flight that gets me there at night.
    Arriving at 8-9AM on a red-eye, not being able to sleep on an airplane, having to stay up ALL DAY..... Makes me very grumpy.
    At least when I fly to Asia I get there in the afternoon. By the time I get to the hotel it's time for dinner... a few drinks and it's time for bed. Perfect.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I actually have a paradoxical reaction to benadryl, it causes a severe reaction of my restless leg syndrome, which makes sleep impossible. I get very jittery and have to move.
    My wife and kids get wired with Benadryl. It doesn't make them sleepy at all.

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Some parents, and at least one comedian, refer to liquid children's benadryl as nite-nite juice.
    I wish that was the case for mine. There have been times where a bit of assisted slumber would have been useful.

Chris

Life Hacks Thread

Do you hate phone calls from telemarketers and spammers?

I’ve confirmed that if you set up your phone’s ‘do not disturb’ feature correctly, you can all but eliminate them.

So in the above example, my DND is on from 11AM till...10AM next next day.

You can see how this works. If you don’t want any calls, just set it to a minimum, like 11AM to 1059AM.

You simply won’t get any calls, unless they are on your Contacts list. Even then, legit callers can leave a message (spammers never do).

I thought this one was pretty cool. I wish I’d thought of it, but I got it from a family member.
    Last edited by RJ; 06-12-2018 at 09:12 PM.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Got to be cautious with benedryl or anything that contains diphenhydramine. Consistant use can effect the potassium level in your blood which can lead to other issues. One of them is development of what is called a “Flat T Wave” which shows up on an EKG.

There is a reason for the warnings on the label.
    Everything in moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Do you hate phone calls from telemarketers and spammers?

I’ve confirmed that if you set up your phone’s ‘do not disturb’ feature correctly, you can all but eliminate them.

So in the above example, my DND is on from 11AM till...10AM next next day.

You can see how this works. If you don’t want any calls, just set it to a minimum, like 11AM to 1059AM.

You simply won’t get any calls, unless they are on your Contacts list. Even then, legit callers can leave a message (spammers never do).

I thought this one was pretty cool. I wish I’d thought of it, but I got it from a family member.
    I dunno - I tried that and it just made all calls go to voicemail. The only way to get a call is for a contact to call more than once within 3 minutes, unless I'm missing something (which is HIGHLY likely).

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I dunno - I tried that and it just made all calls go to voicemail.
    In my experience, for all the junk/spam calls that I get, they never leave a voicemail message. So I just now set my phone to reject calls from all callers not in my Contact List. Worst case, I get voicemail from a caller whom I do actually want to engage with but who is not yet in my Contact List---I'll call them back and add them to my Contacts.

Who knows, but it's worth a try, as I am getting at least 1 or 2 junk calls every day lately on my mobile.

Uber - sounds great. Can that trick be pulled on an iPhone?

Life Hacks Thread

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I dunno - I tried that and it just made all calls go to voicemail. The only way to get a call is for a contact to call more than once within 3 minutes, unless I'm missing something (which is HIGHLY likely).
    There’s another setting I should have mentioned:

It’s the ‘allow calls from’ and I have mine set to all contacts only.

Does that help?
    Last edited by RJ; 06-13-2018 at 03:41 PM.

User Tag List