Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Life Hacks Thread

However, in the spirit of things, assuming this is not a troll, I will contribute a couple things.

One is bicycle inner tubes. I use them for various things.

They keep metal sling swivels on rifles from squeaking.

I use them when a scope cap (like the POS butler creeks) are a shade too big. You can cut a band, and slide it over the objective lense, then slide the cap over it, to make it tight. It also works to put the cap on, then slide one over the cap, to help keep it in place.

If you look at the below pic, I have one inner tube band under the front cap, and one over the rear cap, helping keep them in place:

They also work well to keep from buggering up your axe handles, just below the head:

This one is twofold.

Inner tube rubber makes a GREAT firestarter, and will burn, even when wet. I slice some thin bands, and keep them on my lighter in my packs. I also keep alcohol wipes in my packs. They obviously works for keeping cuts clean, but additionally they work great as firestarters. There is no need to pack extra weight like Vaseline soaked cotton balls when you can have items that serve multiple purposes. The Vaseline and cotton ball stuff works quite well, but when I am trying to shave weight, I skip them.

Linseed oil (common wood finish back in the day) makes an excellent low strength thread locker.

Good stuff man. I'm gonna subscribe to this puppy.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Here's a hack from when I was at work, renting a different car every week on business trips:

It turns out many car makers place a small triangle arrow on the fuel gauge symbol, on the side where the fuel filler door is.

So for example, here is the fuel gauge on my truck: look on the fuel pump symbol, and you can see the small triangle showing the fuel filler is on the left side of the vehicle:

My wife's rogue triangle is on the wrong side...lol
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

RE the cord, instead of the halves just being half a knot, take a loop of cord on one side, double it back on the other, then tie a complete overhand with both halves. It ends up strong enough to pull up or lower a circular saw or other heavy tool up and down from a roof without stressing the plug ends. If you need to use another tool with the cord, you can just unplug the primary tool leaving the knot tied.

Wrapping electrical tape around your air hose female end keeps from scratching peoples nice hardwood floors when working in their house.

The old red plastic 10 rd rifle cartridge holders that Federal used to use (maybe still do, Ive never bought their rifle shells) are handy for dusk skunk patrols around the yard for a few spare rifle loads. A few in the console also give easily accessible spare loads for the truck gun.

Keeping recovery gear in your vehicle nearly guarantees you wont get stuck,...or so it seems. Not having basic stuff seems like a stuck vehicle jinx.

Check the State road conditions website for web cams of road conditions, they are ALL over these days. Ive saved some heartbreak and grief doing so and waiting a day or so to start a trip. it went from hundreds of vehicles off the road everywhere to easy driving on decent roads.

Pulling a drawer out an inch or two makes a handy rifle rest in the house. Lean it in the notch formed. Probably better for most folks than rasping a groove in the edge of the kitchen table.

The trioxane fuel tabs in the foil packs make great fire starters, but you cant use them to clean your hands.

Modern strike anywhere matches in the US dont seem to work any more, hardly even on the box. The expensive storm proof matches work unbelievably well, if expensive. I cut a piece of striker board and put in the match safe with them (strike surface away from the matches).

Im always paranoid that 9v batteries may short on something and start a fire in the trash. Apiece of tape across the contacts before going in the trash adds peace of mind.
    Last edited by Malamute; 11-18-2016 at 11:35 AM.

Site Supporter
    I got nothing but its often the little things That you learn from experienced people that make things easier

Malamute, I've used inner tubes in several of the same ways. Good stuff. Interesting thread guys.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Another gun related item that inner tubes are good for is hanging steel targets.

I built a hanger for a 5" AR500 and at first I tried chain but that broke after a couple rifle hits so I replaced it with inner tube. Lasted for a year and hundreds of rounds. You can also use fire hose. They tend to "self heal" as the material stretches when hit and leaves a small hole behind.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List