Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Life Hacks Thread

Life Hacks Thread

On a roll.

Finally installed the dash cam mount bracket I built from Home Depot parts in the car.

The mirror stalk on my car has very limited clearance, so the commercial mounts I’ve seen don’t work.

I bought a 1/4” thread U bolt:

Then I dremeled 5/16” off one end to allow the camera to swivel on.

The U bolt threads seem to be an exact match for the camera mount.

A second U bolt supplied a second plate. Also 2 1/4” nylon spacers, and three nuts. Put a dab of blue loc tite on all the threads and snugged it all in place.

Total cost in parts: about $4.

Seems to fit ok; will see how it holds up.
    Last edited by RJ; 10-20-2018 at 01:19 PM.

Life Hacks Thread

Another trip to IKEA:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60315865/

Biggest issue I have with my LA Police Gear range bag is the black interior is REALLY hard to see items.

This $5.99 white tray fits pretty well and allows more light to reflect in the interior.

As a bonus, the sloped sides make it work well for quicker mag reloads at the back of a stage table. I keep a gallon zip lock w the loose ammo and dump it in the tray. A few seconds work with a Maglula, and I’ve topped my mags off for the next stage.
    Last edited by RJ; 10-21-2018 at 01:11 PM.

Site Supporter
    Thought I would share this in what I think is the best the thread for it.

I sweat from under my arms at an insane rate, regardless of whether I am physical activate, sitting still, hot or cold. The only thing I have found that works at stopping it is SweatBlock. You have to use it as directed, but it stops sweating for several days-weeks if applied properly. It's almost scary how well it works for me.

I have been using it for years.

https://www.amazon.com/SweatBlock-An...at+block&psc=1

Site Supporter
    Put liquid dish soap in your toilet when it is clogged before trying a plunger. Just squirt in the soap; add a few cups of hot water to create foaming bubbles and walk away. Come back ten minutes later and try to flush again. Often when you come back the problem has already gone down the drain. It always surprises me how often this works without resorting to a plunger

I'm in property management and I will have my staff immediately implement verbal instructions to tenants calling in with clogged toilets to apply the dish soap solution prior to maintenance's arrival. I am constantly amazed at the sheer number of people who do not even own a plunger. Don't. Own. A. Plunger.

Site Supporter
    If they don’t have a plunger I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t have liquid soap

9mm ammo trays left over from shooting sessions will neatly hold 223 ammo and can be used as a loading block.

Name:  77rdf.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  55.5 KB
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    The mirror stalk on my car has very limited clearance, so the commercial mounts I’ve seen don’t work.
    Not a hack, but I like the RAM mounts for this:
    https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-231Z-RVMU

I saw a bottle of this new (to me) liquid bandage on TV and bought some:

New-Skin Liquid Bandage, 1 Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017JOF86..._loEwDb8EGPM1Y

I whacked my knuckle today washing the wheels on my car, and it was sore, so I dabbed on a little bit. Dang if it didn’t fill the void nicely and seems to have dried into a nice little patch.

Smells kinda weird, almost like rubber cement (SURELY some of y’all remember rubber cement. )

Does anybody cut their own hair?

When I was young, I looked like Kurt Cobain. (Not intentionally -- it was just the style on the beach in the 70s, long before anyone had heard of him.) Now that I'm approaching 60, I'm fortunate to still have a full head of hair, but a) I don't care how I look and b) I'm lazy. Therefore, I keep my hair pretty short so that it requires minimum maintenance: Shampoo and towel dry only. No comb. No gel. No thought.

I don't mind going to the Hair Cuttery every month for a $20 haircut, but giving myself a buzzcut seems like something I might be able to do myself. Or maybe not. When I say "I don't care how I look," there is a limit to that statement.

User Tag List