Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Life Hacks Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Same setup I used to use, but I used a roll of wide electrical tape.
    And I bought a cheap door mat sorta like this to use on my bench. It has little pockets for small parts to sit in and not roll away.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

^^^ Which reminds me, plastic silverware trays make good holders for mechanical tools, fasteners, and small parts when working on the motorcycle, keeps them ready, available, and not jumbled up. I grab the tools Ill need for the particular job. I have another larger one I keep some stuff in full time to keep them organized on the bench, as I dont have a drawer type tool box. The small see through pocket tackle boxes work nicely for 3/8" drive sockets and odds and ends in the truck tool pile and to keep automotive electrical connectors and fuses in.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    And I bought a cheap door mat sorta like this to use on my bench. It has little pockets for small parts to sit in and not roll away.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Looks cool for those of us that participate in locksports....

pat

Youtube auto repair vids with minimal dialog

I just searched for vids on replacing the rear brakes on my 4runner. First one I clicked on turned out to be the best how-to videos Ive seen of its type. TRQ has very minimal dialog, basically just saying what hes doing, showing the part removed, etc. "17mm socket" "remove bolts (shows bolts)"....Why cant more youtubers be like this?!!! The entire thing, intro, remove, clean up parts, reassemble rear brakes in 8:11.

Example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYhZU5-yumI

I then went to their channel and searched the front brakes, I dont seem to have the patience to deal with the majority of youtube how to videos and their inane droning dialog, I often skip through parts or turn off the sound until they actually do something useful. Dont have to now.

There is hope for humanity now.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I just searched for vids on replacing the rear brakes on my 4runner. First one I clicked on turned out to be the best how-to videos Ive seen of its type. TRQ has very minimal dialog, basically just saying what hes doing, showing the part removed, etc. "17mm socket" "remove bolts (shows bolts)"....Why cant more youtubers be like this?!!! The entire thing, intro, remove, clean up parts, reassemble rear brakes in 8:11.

Example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYhZU5-yumI

I then went to their channel and searched the front brakes, I dont seem to have the patience to deal with the majority of youtube how to videos and their inane droning dialog, I often skip through parts or turn off the sound until they actually do something useful. Dont have to now.

There is hope for humanity now.
    Looks like the dude that does a lot of the 1A Auto "how to" videos. They have vids for the front brakes on 4runners and FJs but he's a lot more talkative in those offerings.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

I've recently gotten a budget-priced Wheeler Trigger Pull gauge, and while it works ok, I always was fiddling to keep the hook on the trigger shoe. I noticed that the nicer digital gauges have a contoured hook, allowing you to help center it as you pull.

Well, it occurred to me that a pair of rubber washers might do the same thing. So I fished a couple rubber spacers from the Bag o' Holster Hardware (you know, the stuff you accumulate off the dozens of holsters you buy) and slipped them over the hook.

So although not exactly a big deal, the rubber spacers, being fairly tight to slip on, do help to keep the hook on the trigger shoe when making a measurement.

Name:  IMG_9495.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  49.5 KB

I bought this product in 2018, and am still finding uses for it:

"Light Dims" Sheet:

https://www.amazon.com/LightDims-Ori...A%3D%3D&sr=8-2

So this is a sheet of clear acetate, on which are deposited "light dimming" squares and circles of dense material. What you do if you have an annoying LED that's too bright, is slip the point of a knife under a shape, then lift it off and place it on top of the LED. The material cuts the brightness of the LED quite a bit.

I just used a small circle on the LED illuminating the bedside SONOS speaker we have in the bedroom; it was bugging me since it's in my face basically.

I've used these at work, in the car, on routers; anywhere you need to dim an LED. Kinda a unique product and only $5, but very useful.

Name:  capture.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  29.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

"Light Dims" Sheet:

So this is a sheet of clear acetate, on which are deposited "light dimming" squares and circles of dense material. What you do if you have an annoying LED that's too bright, is slip the point of a knife under a shape, then lift it off and place it on top of the LED. The material cuts the brightness of the LED quite a bit.

I just used a small circle on the LED illuminating the bedside SONOS speaker we have in the bedroom; it was bugging me since it's in my face basically.

I've used these at work, in the car, on routers; anywhere you need to dim an LED. Kinda a unique product and only $5, but very useful.

...or that bothersome check engine light
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Name:  IMG_6764.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  23.7 KB I'm sitting here looking at the target paster over the annoying LED light on my computer monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

"Light Dims" Sheet:

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Name:  IMG_6764.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  23.7 KB I'm sitting here looking at the target paster over the annoying LED light on my computer monitor.
    Dude they work fantastically well.

I first learned about these in an automotive thread on another board; I had a car with an incredibly bright red "your doors are locked" LED RIGHT IN THE FRONT OF THE DASHBOARD. Dumb idea, but that's where the maker ended up putting it. Guy online suggested these "light dims". Heck I didn't even know there was such a thing until then.

I did a system install in ABQ once at Kirtland. One of our subs had a rack of equipment with 10s of 2U PCs. Damn power/network LEDs would just about light up the computer room. I took a sheet of light dims one trip and things were a lot better at the operator's console without these searing my eyeballs every time I brought up the system.

They work really well.

User Tag List