Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Life Hacks Thread

A while back in one of the threads about suspenders, someone mentioned that the rear loop on 5.11 and similar pants and shorts are too wide for Perry Suspenders and you have to force them to squeeze around the loop which is kind of a PIA. I was thinking it would be nice to have an adapter and was thinking about making one out of kydex or maybe bending a piece of steel when I notice one of the cheap metal clothes hangers that the uniform company uses to deliver our pants and it occurred to me that I could use one to make a prototype. So I took apart the hanger and straightened the wire and then bent it into a rectangle slightly wider than the belt look and a little more than double the width of the belt. I tried bending the wire like they do on the hook to put the ends together but this left a sharp end sticking out so for the second prototype I used some tape to connect the ends so they wouldn't cut into anything. Then bent it in half and bent the "U" over a little so it didn't jab into my back. In hindsight, it might help to bend in the "U" that the suspender hook goes on to keep it from popping off? Anyway, this pretty much costs nothing, so far is working pretty well and if it helps someone else, here's a pic.
    Name:  20201024_112418.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  37.3 KB
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

I saw this on Imgur

Use blue painters tape to make mounting screw templates
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Use blue painters tape to make mounting screw templates
    SONUFABITCH!!!!! That is a good tip!
    I frequently use the width of the rolls to measure 1".

Pretty good dry practice hack for a Glock, I was able to make one of these zip tie cut Dry Practice aides fairly rapidly. Works pretty well, albeit the trigger is a little squishy, it does move with the slide held slightly out of battery. I just took a very sharp knife and sliced the head of the zip tie, cutting out a small rectangular chunk, leaving the head. I painted the top with nail polish like the guy suggests but I'm not sure it's necessary. In fact cutting the zip tie is probably only needed if you want the head of the zip tie out of the way. Cutting it like this does lower it below the level of the slide, at least for me.

Name:  IMG_7770.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  44.8 KB

Site Supporter
    After seeing this and trying it a few times last year, I've been storing most of my ropes in the butterfly coil knot first shown. My most used ropes are 100-200 feet in length.

https://youtu.be/Aqt1ntSVjJA?t=19

Extremely quick, tidy, and doesn't make a nightmare to put back into use.

I was doing some work on preparing a new competition gun, and was leveraging a previous holster shell for it. After doing the work needed, I was thinking about how to make the interior more visible, when it occurred to me I could outline the top edge of the shell with silver sharpie.

Intent is to make it more visible for reholstering after a load/make ready and U/SC.

Name:  IMG_7843.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  44.1 KB
    Last edited by RJ; 11-10-2020 at 12:21 PM.

I reconfigured my range bag C-A-T TQ today. I hooked the red safety tab over the end-most pocket to make it more visible and accessible.

Name:  5C0C5841-4226-4E30-9CA4-4CCAAF0302A2.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  44.1 KB

Napkin holder, dollar store, $1. Since my G19 fits ok, in the JM CK IWB3, I may grab a few more of these and use them to stack pistols vertically in the safe, maybe.

Name:  IMG_7906.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  76.5 KB

Where has this been all my life.

Harbor Freight "Funnel Tray", $2.99:

https://www.harborfreight.com/easy-s...17ced89a2b1dc6

Name:  IMG_7925.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  82.0 KB

I apologize if this hack is fairly obvious, but I'm new to Revolvers. In the process of running a bore snake through the cylinder, I always seem to manage to forget which chamber I just passed the snake through.

So lately I've been pulling the snake almost all the way, but not quite, and then threading the snake into the next chamber. This creates a loop kinda sorta in two chambers. Then, I just pull both through; the short end pops out, and I repeat to the next chamber.

It's just a simple way to make sure I get through them all.

Name:  IMG_7929.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  59.3 KB

User Tag List