Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: Life Hacks Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Dude they work fantastically well.

I first learned about these in an automotive thread on another board; I had a car with an incredibly bright red "your doors are locked" LED RIGHT IN THE FRONT OF THE DASHBOARD. Dumb idea, but that's where the maker ended up putting it. Guy online suggested these "light dims". Heck I didn't even know there was such a thing until then.

I did a system install in ABQ once at Kirtland. One of our subs had a rack of equipment with 10s of 2U PCs. Damn power/network LEDs would just about light up the computer room. I took a sheet of light dims one trip and things were a lot better at the operator's console without these searing my eyeballs every time I brought up the system.

They work really well.
    I wish I knew about these when I was working. When I drove dark there were always small lights on the accessories that lit up the car’s interior. I used electrical tape but these would’ve been great!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

If you're like me, you probably hate auto flushing toilets. Never fails that the damn thing flushes at an inconvenient time. Like right after I out the seat cover on.

Take 4-6 sheets of TP and fold it over in half, drape over the front of the motion sensor. You want the crease in the back usually to add some weight and keep it from slipping. Problem solved.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    If you're like me, you probably hate auto flushing toilets. Never fails that the damn thing flushes at an inconvenient time. Like right after I out the seat cover on.

Take 4-6 sheets of TP and fold it over in half, drape over the front of the motion sensor. You want the crease in the back usually to add some weight and keep it from slipping. Problem solved.
    Funny you mention that. Found a great restroom. I had a card swipe for the building that worked 24/7. The administration liked us to go there for breaks and admin work so we were visible. The restroom was out of the way, had a locking door, locking stalls, and a baby changing station in the handicapped stall...All the boxes checked. So, when nature called at any point of the shift I would go there, checking out with dispatch according to policy. Let myself in, lock myself in, drop the almost 20 pound duty belt (1911 years, with 4 10 round spare mags) on the baby changing station, had a seat and read my kindle app on my phone.. One night the dispatcher (one specific dispatcher) called me about six or eight minutes after I checked out. Leaned forward to grab the mic, keyed it. As the channel opened there was the tile echo that told any experienced ear where I was and what I was doing, and it was immediately followed by the auto flush feature, as I apparently leaned forward just enough to trigger it. Dispatcher couldn't give me the call because she was laughing so hard. She spent the next two years trying to time giving me low priority calls and welfare checks just to see if she could get me again. She got pretty good at it.

I may start using that building again.

pat

Site Supporter
    I don’t stay in hotels often, but I know we have some members that travel a lot who might find this useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I don’t stay in hotels often, but I know we have some members that travel a lot who might find this useful...
    Dammit why did no one tell me about this while was I was still doing corporate business travel!?

That looks very useful.

Very cool. I never knew this.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Very cool. I never knew this.

Well.

I’ll be damned.

Baby shampoo for handwashing

My hands typically get dried out and crack during the winter. My day mentioned that he was using baby shampoo to wash his hands, and it makes a big difference.

Woah...Glow in the dark paracord. Who knew?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0771PN5NZ...roduct_details

I ordered 25’ of this to make this year’s woggle for my Webelos Scout grandson. I make him one annually, I think he’ll like it. I’ll use the rest to make some lanyards, or use around the campsite.

Name:  40C4EA15-1ABE-4DA3-952A-B04386C43F54.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  31.1 KB
    Last edited by RJ; 01-17-2023 at 09:12 AM.

I had some fail to connect to CarPlay errors in the truck recently.

An old credit card cut up with a fine point makes an excellent tool for digging schmutz out a pocket-carried iPhone usb slot. This is what I dug out.
    Name:  E429FCF4-7F2C-40B1-BB73-2E9F54C638AC.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  42.2 KB

User Tag List