Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Life Hacks Thread

Recieved this little guy today:

Wedge-It WEDGE-IT-1 The Ultimate... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N4M2UCM...p_mob_ap_share

(Spyderco Dragonfly 2 for size)

Since I have some upcoming extended travel for work, my plan is to augment the normal hotel door security arrangements with this little wedge doohickey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

Wedge-It WEDGE-IT-1 The Ultimate... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N4M2UCM...p_mob_ap_share

Since I have some upcoming extended travel for work, my plan is to augment the normal hotel door security arrangements with this little wedge doohickey.

Well crap I am a moron. Apparently this is to hold a door OPEN.

Geez I should not be allowed sharp tools.

Ok anybody got a line on a cheap portable lock you can take with you to a hotel or VRBO to keep the door closed?

A little further down the page...
    https://www.amazon.com/Addalock-Port...VRR0830NTGSXW0

Ok anybody got a line on a cheap portable lock you can take with you to a hotel or VRBO to keep the door closed?
    You need whatever this guy was using

Last edited by AKDoug; 09-12-2019 at 12:46 AM.

I used one of those as a firefighter for years.

Carry a chock!
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

RJ - Kick that thing under the door from the inside - like a chock. It'll hold. Or, let's put it this way. With the Wedge-It kicked under the door, nobody is going to simply stroll into your room without making a ruckus. (It works better if the edge with the rubber is in contact with the floor, but it will work either way.)

Site Supporter
    An Addalock did not work for me at a hotel with an electronic lock with a 3 piece latch bolt like this:

Attachment 42522

I've been using Calslock-Portable-Door-Travel-Lock since and I haven't yet come across a hotel door it didn't fit.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DMWINCLE View Post
    An Addalock did not work for me at a hotel with an electronic lock with a 3 piece latch bolt like this:

I've been using Calslock-Portable-Door-Travel-Lock since and I haven't yet come across a hotel door it didn't fit.
    Looks like I jinxed myself, @RJ.

Ran into a door at the Crowne Plaza in Rosemont, IL where the above mentioned Calslock did not fit. Something off with the door and it was rubbing against the frame so no space to insert the lock. Don't think an Addalock would fit either, but I didn't have it with me so can't say for sure. My guess is that only a wedge device on the floor would have worked.

Guess I have to start traveling with all 3 types...

Quote Originally Posted by DMWINCLE View Post
    Looks like I jinxed myself, @RJ.

Ran into a door at the Crowne Plaza in Rosemont, IL where the above mentioned Calslock did not fit. Something off with the door and it was rubbing against the frame so no space to insert the lock.
    From this thread I bought and started using one of these.
    So far one door, out of probably 14 or so since then didn't want to work. Though one I really had to lean my shoulder into to get space to lock the deadbolt over it. Speaking of that, I have been using it in the slot of the deadbolt, best practice?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    From this thread I bought and started using one of these.
    So far one door, out of probably 14 or so since then didn't want to work. Though one I really had to lean my shoulder into to get space to lock the deadbolt over it. Speaking of that, I have been using it in the slot of the deadbolt, best practice?
    I've been using the deadbolt slot, too. Most of the places I stay have that 3 prong latch and I have more concern about using that slot.

I did run into a door at the Sheraton in Tampa that was a super tight fit and very hard to unlock with the Calslock in place. Discovered that the first morning so only used it the one night as I didn't want to risk issues in event of a fire. So a best practice for me now is to test how easy the door is to open when first used.

Lately, I've been traveling with 2 of these door stops to supplement or use in case the Calslock won't work. In honor of PF, I paid the extra $1.50 over the grey and got the orange ones. :-)
    Last edited by SiriusBlunder; 11-22-2019 at 08:12 PM.

User Tag List