Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Life Hacks Thread

I recently acquired a very useful tool I had no idea even existed (I'm relatively new to guns): A bore light attachment.

I got it from a friend who didn't need it anymore; I'd guess he bought it as part of a bore light maybe?

Anyway, I stuck it on the end of an inexpensive HF AA LED $1.99 flashlight. The fit is great, and I was really surprised how handy having one of these was for inspecting the bore of a pistol. The head fits right in the chamber and the diameter of the fiber-optic rod that bends the light is about 9mm/.38.

Not exactly a "hack" but it is pretty cool:

Name:  IMG_7930.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  75.6 KB

So this "hack" isn't really a "thing" but more of a software tool.

For the last year or so I've been swapping carry guns around. I've never been blessed with a good memory, and I can't always remember the formula for moving the rear sight in windage, based on where my groups are landing.

So I drafted up this simple spreadsheet calculator to help me. All I need to do now is to enter the target range, the pistol sight radius, and how much error I am seeing in windage, and the calculator computes the value I would need to move the rear sight.

The other thing I wanted was guidance on exactly how much that rear sight movement would result from a specific turn of the rear sight adjustment tool threaded rod. So the spreadsheet calculator also computes how much of a revolution, in percent, I would need to turn the rod in order to move the rear sight, that amount.

This works pretty well. I've left the spreadsheet setup for my situation, which is sighting in a Glock 48 (SR=5.63")at 7.0 yards. I was seeing about 1 and 1/4" inch error, or -1.25", in my groups, so I wanted to move my rear sight just a bit to the left to compensate for how I shoot. This turns out to be 0.028" of rear sight movement, or just under a half-turn at 45%, for my sight tool, which has a rod with 16 threads per inch.

I'm also working on one for elevation, to help me predict the height changes for front sights.

This is a pdf export of the spreadsheet:

Sight_Deflection_Calculator_2020.pdf

And here is the spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Please note! This is the first time I've worked with Google Sheets. Theoretically, if you click on the link, you should see a "live" version of this spreadsheet. I've protected all cells from changes except for the four values in GREEN you need to make the tool calculate the rear sight movement.

If someone tries this, and can confirm it works for them, I'd appreciate it, as well as anything else that might be broken. And of course if someone wants to check my math, that'd be great as well.

Rich

...and here is the link to the Elevation Calculator.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

PDF of it is attached, so you can see what it does.

This Calculator is pretty simple, it uses the same type of math, but computes the change in Front Sight Height (and the new predicted Front Sight Height) for a given Elevation error, seen for a target at range R, with pistol of Sight Radius SR.

In the case of Front Sight heights, the math is opposite, so here plus is up and minus is down i.e. a SHORTER front sight will move groups up, and a TALLER front sight will move them down.

Again, if somebody can check this works, and confirm my math is correct, I'd appreciate it. The link should be live now, again with the proviso there are cell protections in place for all cells except the four cells where you can enter a value in GREEN.

Rich
    Attached Images Attached Images

RJ, looks good. Do you have one that converts it to hammer whacks for us neanderthals?
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Another useful find at IKEA: a Drawer Insert, $1.99, in white for the bottom of my LAPG range bag:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/billing...hite-30270401/

A problem I've always had with range bags, especially black ones, is that there's very little light reflected at the bottom. This drawer insert is bright white and fits perfectly (trimmed of the edges) down in my gear bag. At $2, it's super cheap and lightweight.

Name:  IMG_8286.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  94.6 KB

I find it curious that nobody has ever seen @RJ and Martha Stewart in the same room at the same time...

"Oh dear, they've sussed me out."
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I find it curious that nobody has ever seen @RJ and Martha Stewart in the same room at the same time...
    Heh.

You should see the zero cost wifi-enabled home video security hack I'm playing with right now. Does not need any cameras, LAN cables, smart boxes or subscription payments. All you'll need is an old iPhone or iPad that has a camera (an old iPhone 4 or 6 that everybody has in a drawer somewhere) to use as the motion detector, and your current smart phone to get an alert and capture real-time video and audio if someone breaks into your house while you are away from home. It seems to be working pretty well with the test I just ran.

My new "Economy" Glock Armorer's Block :

Name:  IMG_9079.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  65.3 KB

Roll of painter's tape and a Harbor Freight 4" magnetic tool tray:

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch...ray-90566.html

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    My new "Economy" Glock Armorer's Block :

Name:  IMG_9079.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  65.3 KB

Roll of painter's tape and a Harbor Freight 4" magnetic tool tray:

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch...ray-90566.html
    Same setup I used to use, but I used a roll of wide electrical tape.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
    A silver Sharpie paint pen is even better for the job, having used both.
    Thank you, hadn't ever seem these. I mark pistolmags, radio batteries, screws on rifles that aren't painted, and tired of having to redo it on some of the mags and radios, as it will wear off.

User Tag List