Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Life Hacks Thread

Life Hacks Thread

I've been thinking, with as much practical experience that P-F members have, a Life Hack thread would be pretty cool.

Do you have a simple but effective idea about everyday life? Post it here!

I have a few I've learned over the years, but I'd sure like to know what y'all find useful. You might think it is no big deal, but could actually be very useful.

I'll start in the next post.

Here's a basic one I learned from my dad:

To prevent extension cords from pulling apart, just tie an overhand knot in the two ends when you plug them in:

Here's a hack from when I was at work, renting a different car every week on business trips:

It turns out many car makers place a small triangle arrow on the fuel gauge symbol, on the side where the fuel filler door is.

So for example, here is the fuel gauge on my truck: look on the fuel pump symbol, and you can see the small triangle showing the fuel filler is on the left side of the vehicle:

During hot Summer days, a spit bottle left in your car can become a near lethal bio-weapon in one day.

BUT . . . dropping a few cherry pits into said bottle will keep it fresh as a daisy for several days! It's quite amazing.

“Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    During hot Summer days, a spit bottle left in your car can become a near lethal bio-weapon in one day.

BUT . . . dropping a few cherry pits into said bottle will keep it fresh as a daisy for several days! It's quite amazing.

Good to know. I typically use cups, cuz I don't mind the smell and they don't explode if forgotten.

Quad Bomb: 2L plastic spit bottle left on a Texas roof during summer for 3+ days til the bottom bulges, then dropped from 4 story dorm roof. Wintergreen Grizzly is the worst. Explodes like a grenade, smells like death.

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    Good to know. I typically use cups, cuz I don't mind the smell and they don't explode if forgotten.

Quad Bomb: 2L plastic spit bottle left on a Texas roof during summer for 3+ days til the bottom bulges, then dropped from 4 story dorm roof. Wintergreen Grizzly is the worst. Explodes like a grenade, smells like death.
    I've heard tell, guys on deployment would take the heating element from a MRE and drop it in and the liquid activated it and unass the area, usually inside someone else's vehicle.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

A stronger shoelace knot (3 minute TED talk):

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    A stronger shoelace knot (3 minute TED talk):

You know what's sad? I have so much muscle memory from tying my shoes that I couldn't figure out how to loop backwards. Back to double knotting everything
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    To prevent extension cords from pulling apart, just tie an overhand knot in the two ends when you plug them in
    I thought everyone did that! j/k

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Here's a basic one I learned from my dad:

To prevent extension cords from pulling apart, just tie an overhand knot in the two ends when you plug them in:

I am not sure if this thread is a subtle troll, and RJ is showing us things that most people with common sense know, but silly urbanites ( the ones who came up with "life hacks" ) think they have invented the wheel, or beer or something, when they show another person how to keep a roll of toilet paper dry while camping.

User Tag List