Page 5 of 111 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: The world around you thread

Traffic jam by the cabin:

A cool old Mountain Mahogany on the hill behind the place:

I will quit hogging up bandwidth now.

Since I am just a dentist, I get to spend 12+ hours a day doing dentistry, so my world usually looks like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist

Ah, the mighty Arbutus tree. A broadleaf evergreen which sheds it's leaves for new ones in the early summer. Then shed's it's bark all summer long and then loses it's berries in the fall. I have a grove (if that is the proper term) of them bordering my back yard and they sure do create a lot of raking and gutter cleaning work by leaving their various detritus for most of the damn year!

Apparently the wood is so dense it won't float when it's fresh, which is interesting in a Clif Clavin kinda way.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Oh man but it burns like coal when dry! We have a ton of them at our island place; the previous owners were somewhat cultivating them as far as we can tell and they surround our place and in fact cover most of the hilltop we're on.

Strange, weedy wood when wet; reminds me of reeds at similar diameters. Snaps when bent, almost like rhododendron twigs. But you dry it out and boy, it's like ash or dry maple in the stove.

The only real downside for us is that our island can be quite dry in the summer - last year there was 0mm of rain between February and September - and the weird peeling skin turns into bone-dry tinder, blowing around in drifts on an island with no running water. Yeah, end of the summer gets a little nervous.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    The only real downside for us is that our island can be quite dry in the summer - last year there was 0mm of rain between February and September - and the weird peeling skin turns into bone-dry tinder, blowing around in drifts on an island with no running water. Yeah, end of the summer gets a little nervous.
    We've been in a drought for a couple of months with several active forest fires ongoing here in western NC. With only wells in our area and the 40 mph winds and dry leaves everywhere, it's been a bit nerve-racking to say the least.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Oh man but it burns like coal when dry! We have a ton of them at our island place; the previous owners were somewhat cultivating them as far as we can tell and they surround our place and in fact cover most of the hilltop we're on.

Strange, weedy wood when wet; reminds me of reeds at similar diameters. Snaps when bent, almost like rhododendron twigs. But you dry it out and boy, it's like ash or dry maple in the stove.

Same here, we have so many Arbutus trees around our neighbourhood and on a golf course near by. If we had a drunk golfer throw a stogie into the bush the fire would roar up our mountain with some real speed. At present their is only one way in our out of the neighbourhood, so I get where you are coming from.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 11-19-2016 at 11:40 PM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Name:  177.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  54.1 KB

Name:  338.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  69.8 KB
    My house two years ago. West Texas.

Now
    Name:  472.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  57.6 KB
    That was our first winter here two years ago.

I am not in Texas anymore To-to

Name:  412.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  100.7 KB

And within pistol range
    Name:  595.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  83.1 KB
    Last edited by Arbninftry; 11-20-2016 at 01:02 AM.

Like Doc I spend 12+ hours most in one place but my office is mobile and I get out and make house calls lol. This is it for a little while longer but then I get a cubicle and stuff.... I'll have to take some from around the house, just imagine the bottom end of the mountain region of Georgia where the piedmont region begins.

User Tag List