Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5.56 SBR Suppressor?

Quote Originally Posted by GunRacer View Post
    Re: Lebowski
    What is the advantage of a .30 on a 5.56? I'd like to hear your thoughts since you own both. This will be my first suppressor.
    Flexibility. Do you ever plan to own a .300Blk? Do you ever plan to hunt with say a .308 or even 6.5 Grendel or Creedmore? It's just a no brainer in that for a little bit more money up front, you wouldn't be limited so very much on caliber selection. It's all well and good if you can afford both 5.56 and 7.62 cans but can you?
    #RESIST

Setting aside money, does the larger volume of a 7.62 can make it quieter or louder than the same model of can in 5.56? Since 7.62mm has a larger amount of powder and makes more gas, would a 7.62mm can be more durable than a 5.56mm can? Any differences with function on short SBR uppers (10.3" and 11.5") between a 7.62 can and a 5.56 can?

I also want to go the suppressed SBR route and plan on buying (paying for and going into Form 4 purgatory) a can before the end of the year.

If you are going with a .308 can be sure it can take a different end cap. From what I understand, if you keep the 30 cal end cap on the can, it'll be slightly louder. However, if you get the 223 end cap the 30 cal can could be quieter.

Personally I don't think it's worth the weight, but it all depends on what your priorities are. I have no desire to suppress a 30 cal and there would be no reason for me to get a multi-caliber suppressor so I just got a dedicated 223 can.

And I know the Specwar 7.62 is rated down to 7.5 in 223, but the Specwar 556 is rated only down to 10.5 in 223. 30 cal cans are typically more beefy than the 223 (obviously depends on the can though).

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Setting aside money, does the larger volume of a 7.62 can make it quieter or louder than the same model of can in 5.56? Since 7.62mm has a larger amount of powder and makes more gas, would a 7.62mm can be more durable than a 5.56mm can? Any differences with function on short SBR uppers (10.3" and 11.5") between a 7.62 can and a 5.56 can?.
    A .30 caliber can will be louder than a .223 caliber can if they are the same length, as the usable volume in the .30 cal is smaller. A full-sized .30 caliber will generally be quieter than a .223 caliber can of the same design.

The obvious example here are the Surefire SOCOMs. The SOCOM556-RC2 will be quieter than then SOCOM762-MINI2 when attached to a 5.56×45mm NATO firearm; they are the same length, but the SOCOM762-MINI obviously has a larger bore. However, the SOCOM762-RC2 will be quieter than a SOCOM556-RC2 on the same firearms; the increased length of the SOCOM762-RC2 is a fair bit longer than the SOCOM556-RC2 gives it enough volume to make up for the larger bore of the .30 caliber can.

A .30 caliber can is generally rated for a shorter barrel on smaller calibers due to bullet instability; the larger bore is more forgiving of an unstable bullet from a very short barrel, thus less chance of a baffle strike. This is why the SOCOM556-RC2 is rated down to 10", but the SOCOM556-SB2 is rated for below 10"; the only difference is the larger bore of the SB2, though its not as big as a 6.8 bore.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 11-19-2016 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gskip View Post
    If you are going with a .308 can be sure it can take a different end cap. From what I understand, if you keep the 30 cal end cap on the can, it'll be slightly louder. However, if you get the 223 end cap the 30 cal can could be quieter.
    It's really not enough of a change to be discernible to the human ear, it's still going to be loud. Tone matters more than a DB or two.
    #RESIST

IMO, the A-Answer is a dedicated, permanent, 5.56 AR tuned to run suppressed-only to your particular can with the can never leaving the gun.

However, cans are toys, and they are expensive toys, and expensive toys should be as multi-purpose as possible to spread the waste around, so I'd suggest the .30 can to spread your wasted money across as many various ballistic modes of entertainment as possible.

I would also, therefore, select my .30 can based on manufacturer (if you've never heard of the company, ignore them) and availability of various mounts (make sure they make them for your AK, your FAL, your .308 hunting rifle, your 5.56 AR, etc.).

Whether or not it comes with other endcaps would be wholly irrelevant to me because I'd never be bothered to change it out.

The reality is, the biggest performance advantage in using a 30 caliber can for your 5.56 is that it reduces the chance of baffle strikes
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

It's really, really hard to get around the flexibility of the SiCo Omega. It is both direct thread and quick detach out of the box. Helpful comparison of different rifle suppressors here.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    It's really, really hard to get around the flexibility of the SiCo Omega. It is both direct thread and quick detach out of the box. Helpful comparison of different rifle suppressors here.
    I would have a really hard time buying any other rifle can today, and can't think of any real-world reason to do so.

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I took a trip to the local suppressor shop today and handled a few cans. I've narrowed it down to Omega and Sandman S. The dealer was adamant about the Omega, but didn't have anything bad to say about the Sandman other than it was louder. Still, the Sandman felt like a tank in comparison! Also, the mount was better. I'll likely end up with both down the road. But I think I'll buy an Omega first. I'm not shooting auto, or really very much 5.56 at all, frankly. The Omega with a 5.56 end cap is probably my best bet for attenuation (130ish at the muzzle), size, and versatility.

User Tag List