Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.56 SBR Suppressor?

5.56 SBR Suppressor?

Hello, everyone.

I'm in the process of building a dedicated suppressed 10.3" 5.56 carbine. While I wait for stamp #1, I've been researching cans. I was set on a Saker 5.56 because of the superior attenuation and size. However, it seems like the industry is getting away from dedicated 5.56 cans. New companies like Dead Air and Rugged only offer .30 caliber cans, as you all know. Is it worth investing in newer technology or staying with the 5.56 idea? Like I said, this can will live on the 5.56 host. Is there any good reason to go with a .30 can?

Currently looking at Saker 5.56, Dead Air Sandman S, Rugged Surge/Razor.

I have a 10.3 DD sbr that is suppressed with a gemtech g5t.

It's not coming off that barrel since it is sorta the best I've seen around for it.

If you are looking for a suppressor you can have on many different rifles then yeah, go with a Multi caliber can, like The One. Otherwise I'd definitely recommend getting a specific type of can for a specific type of application.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I see no reason to get a .30 caliber can if you're sure that it will be dedicated on a .223 caliber gun. You will have less sound suppression; remember, decibels operate on a base 10 logarithmic scale; a 3 dB gain is a raw doubling of the energy. Thus, Saker 556 at 134 dB attenuates the sound energy much more than the Razor 762 at 138.7 dB, even if our ears can't really tell the difference.

If I've done my math right, raw, non-log values will put the Saker 556 as being ~100 Pa of pressure, while the Razor 762 is at ~172 Pa of pressure; the threshold of human hearing (approximated by a mosquito flying 3 meters away) is about 0.000002 of pressure, while pain is suppose to start at around 125 dB, which is ~35.5 Pa of pressure.

Then again, noise attenuation isn't always what people are after in suppressors; there are many other factors involved, such as length, weight, repeatable change in POA/POI shift, durability, long term viability of the company itself for warranty issues, etc.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 11-17-2016 at 12:10 PM.

I'd go .30 unless you already have one. Speaking as a guy with both 5.56 and 7.62 cans.
    #RESIST

While a 30 cal can would be great and versatile, I'd take a look at 5.56 K cans as well if you're dedicating this can to one SBR.

I've shot 30, 556 and 556K cans on 556 SBRs and they're all loud. That's not meant to discredit or ignore DMP3s data above at all. I'm just not shooting 556 suppressed without ears except while hunting so I've come to appreciate the weight savings of a K can on SBRs. 4-5 ozs at the end of a barrel is noticeable to me. It still suppresses well and reduces concussion. In fact, the AT-EAR DBs were lower in a K can than its full size cousin in testing. In ARs the port noise plays a large role in what we hear. A mil spec meter reading is nowhere near your ear.

No matter what you get you'll love be it, I'm sure.

All the above advice is excellent and valid. I'm just offering a different perspective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the good information, everyone. So, one thing I've read online is that some .30 cans sound a little quieter to the shooter because of reduced back pressure. Sounds like BS, but okay. I'm honestly a lot more concerned about what I hear than the folks around me. Is there any validity to that?

Re: Default
    Yessir, you nailed the dB description. I learned a lot about decibels and hearing damage after the permanent, screeching tinnitus set in. Now I just want to keep it from worsening.

Re: Lebowski
    What is the advantage of a .30 on a 5.56? I'd like to hear your thoughts since you own both. This will be my first suppressor.

Out of curiosity, what would be the appropriate gas port size for a .30 can on a 10.3"? I was planning on .049 for the 5.56 can.

Go for a K can. I'd get a Specwar 556 K if I could.

And as to all the people saying that it is too loud, I would disagree. My 14.5 Middy with a Specwar 556 can on it is plenty hearing safe. Even the Saker 556 K on a 7.5 PWS Diablo was hearing safe in my opinion.

I like Silencerco stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by GunRacer View Post
    Thanks for the good information, everyone. So, one thing I've read online is that some .30 cans sound a little quieter to the shooter because of reduced back pressure. Sounds like BS, but okay. I'm honestly a lot more concerned about what I hear than the folks around me. Is there any validity to that?
    I assume that has to do with the fact that the reduced back pressure leads to reduced port noise. I don't know if its true or not, but it doesn't sound implausible.

Quote Originally Posted by gskip View Post
    My 14.5 Middy with a Specwar 556 can on it is plenty hearing safe. Even the Saker 556 K on a 7.5 PWS Diablo was hearing safe in my opinion.
    Note: none of this should be construed as medical advice, but merely the typing of someone who has done some light reading.

Hearing safe means something, though. Just because you're not experience pain doesn't mean you're not losing hearing. The supersonic crack of the rounds themselves will contribute to hearing loss. Individual events don't do very much damage upon themselves, but hearing loss is quite often a cumulative event.

That could be true Default and I haven't really considered it. But I will say that I experience no pain or even discomfort shooting that 14.5 suppressed. Just gas.

When I get everything out of quarantine, I'll be installing a Silencerco Omega on a Colt 6933 which had an 11.5" barrel. I will be using the direct thread end end cap and 5.56 muzzle cap as I plan to only shoot the rifle suppressed. I bought the Omega because it's only 14 oz is a little over 6" in length and allows mounting by direct thread.

I haven't shot it yet, so I'm not sure how well it's gonna work
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List