Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VP9, mag release technique

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Nice reload! I think I remember that stage.
    Thanks Gabe! That was one of my favorite stages from Area 1 this year, as a matter of fact.

Back to the topic at hand for a moment: I have found that using the trigger finger is faster for me than the middle finger, though it does have higher risk associated with it. It is definitely possible to ND using the trigger finger technique if you are pushing speed. I know because I've done it; at a match no less.
    TY83544

Didn't conclude anything, but last night (using the medium backstrap) I experimented with pivoting the gun slightly, and using my trigger finger and thumb. Seemed more positive, but I need to live fire on the clock to compare that to just my trigger finger.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Talionis View Post
    Thanks Gabe! That was one of my favorite stages from Area 1 this year, as a matter of fact.

Back to the topic at hand for a moment: I have found that using the trigger finger is faster for me than the middle finger, though it does have higher risk associated with it. It is definitely possible to ND using the trigger finger technique if you are pushing speed. I know because I've done it; at a match no less.
    One of my favorites from that match too.

Yeah...I know a lot of people do successfully use trigger finger on the HK mag release. I know your story as well, so there is that. I'm slightly uncomfortable with the technique but nowhere near enough to even rail against it on the internet. More power to the index finger releasers!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I always use my index finger on the HKs, but I'm finding now with my transition to the VP9 from the HK45 that the paddles now seem to require me to break my grip a teeny bit to accurately hit the button. I think the HK45 had way larger paddles, and that's what I'm still used to after the years of shooting that thing exclusively.

Pretty unrelated, but I also notice that you need to be careful coming up on the gun with your strong hand after a reload as well. It might just be me (and maybe other heavy users like Talionis can chime in) but the VP9 seems unusually susceptible to off kilter sights from variable or unintentional grip pressure. If I don't grip it with the same pressure every time it seems my left hand can really throw my sight alignment to shit.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    One of my favorites from that match too.

Yeah...I know a lot of people do successfully use trigger finger on the HK mag release. I know your story as well, so there is that. I'm slightly uncomfortable with the technique but nowhere near enough to even rail against it on the internet. More power to the index finger releasers!
    The ND was definitely an eye opener for me, and definitely prompted a great deal of reps reprogramming how I did things. I would certainly not advocate using the trigger finger for everyone, given the presence of such risk. In my case, it was a unique circumstance coming from a winter's worth of dry-firing for speed without confirming things in live fire. I do think middle finger (or thumb, for those without stubby thumbs like mine) does offer a lower risk alternative at a cost of a slight loss in speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I always use my index finger on the HKs, but I'm finding now with my transition to the VP9 from the HK45 that the paddles now seem to require me to break my grip a teeny bit to accurately hit the button. I think the HK45 had way larger paddles, and that's what I'm still used to after the years of shooting that thing exclusively.

Pretty unrelated, but I also notice that you need to be careful coming up on the gun with your strong hand after a reload as well. It might just be me (and maybe other heavy users like Talionis can chime in) but the VP9 seems unusually susceptible to off kilter sights from variable or unintentional grip pressure. If I don't grip it with the same pressure every time it seems my left hand can really throw my sight alignment to shit.
    My recollection of my HK45C was that the paddles weren't necessarily bigger, but the grip was longer front to back (longer cartridge case), which put the paddle more directly in line with where my finger natural moves. I do shift my grip with the VP9 more than I did with the 45's when using my preferred medium backstrap. The large backstrap fixed that issue to a degree, but I wasn't as happy with everything else when using the large, so it wasn't worth it for me.

Curious what grip panels you are using, Peally. I found that the flattest (small) side panels along with gripping the gun hard took care of grip pressure/muzzle direction problems.
    TY83544

I haven't played with the HK45C long but it also had different releases than the full size gun. Regardless, you may be right in that the placement is also different. Just a minor learning curve is all.

I'd have to confirm to make sure but I believe I'm using the medium side panels with the small backstrap. Went with the small on the rear just to get rid of that hump in the grip. I found when squeezing with the strong hand that it was awkward for me and felt like I was putting all the squeezing force into the bottom half of the grip and nothing up top. Plus it feels better as far as wear and tear on my palms and wrists, but it's all anecdotal. If I have time I'll play "swap the panels" tonight.

Thanks for the input!
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I use my shooting hand thumb, just like a button.

Site Supporter
    Trigger finger here. I can manage thumb and trigger finger at the same time on a USPc, but not with the large back strap I have on the VP9 and P30s.

Quote Originally Posted by DEG View Post
    Trigger finger here. I can manage thumb and trigger finger at the same time on a USPc, but not with the large back strap I have on the VP9 and P30s.
    Same here, need the medium to use thumb and trigger finger.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I use the trigger finger on the PPQ, VP9, HK, AR and FN-FAL. Thirty seconds on the PPQ destroyed thirty years of thumb button pushing muscle memory. Now, after decades of use and carry, when I pick up my 1911 I have to consciously shift mental gears to "thumb button". I don't have to think at all to release the mag of the PPQ or the AR. I don't even have to shift my grip
    Last edited by MistWolf; 11-18-2016 at 12:17 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List