Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting low and left (was: Not Sure This Is The Right Place For This Question)

Banned

Shooting low and left (was: Not Sure This Is The Right Place For This Question)

I'm sure you've read this a million times but I shoot low and Left. Doesn't matter what handgun I shoot it's always low and Left.

Now this is the part I think is odd, my groups are nice and tight so I don't think I'm flinching and if I adjust my point of aim I can consistently hit the 10 ring.

Imagine a clock if I aim right in the middle of the clock I'll consistently hit right between the 7 and the 8 but if I aim between 1 and 2 I'll hit dead center on the clock every time.

What am I doing?

We need to get this out of the way first: are you right-handed?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    We need to get this out of the way first: are you right-handed?
    I'm ambidextrous. I shoot Right handed because I'm Right eye dominate and it's easier to find Right handed holsters and such. If I shoot left handed I shoot closer to center but still low and still left.

BTW if this isn't in the right place feel free to move it.
    Last edited by Cypher; 11-16-2016 at 01:42 PM.

Describe to me how long it takes for you to break a shot when you are practicing. Is this "slow fire" practice? All types of shooting?

Banned
    Describe to me how long it takes for you to break a shot when you are practicing.
    Is this "slow fire" practice? All types of shooting?
    I don't know for sure but I have been consistently trying to fire in such a way that I'm surprised when the trigger breaks (M&P9 with the factory trigger if that means anything) but it doesn't matter slow fire, drawing and firing, standing, kneeling, Left hand only, Right hand only, controlled pairs.

There's a target at our range that is a series of steel plates and I can go down the line and knock them down one after the other as long as I aim at 1:30

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I have been consistently trying to fire in such a way that I'm surprised when the trigger breaks
    I have no doubt about that.

I can't see you shoot, but you're describing classic anticipation, not flinch (though hitting low left when shooting left handed is odd).

What does your dry practice look like?

I was once told by an old crusty firearms instructor that if a student couldn't hit center mass, have them aim high right and yank the hell out of the trigger. Sounds like trigger manipulation is a likely culprit. I HATE to diagnose shooting issues over the internet, but here are some thoughts:

Low and left with a right handed shooter using a striker fired pistol is probably the most frequent problem we see. TYPICALLY it's a combination of issues - grip, or trigger finger placement or both that leads to the right deviation (pushing the gun). Just as typically, "snatching" or "yanking" the trigger causes the down deviation. The biggest cause of this, in my experience, is from folks trying to shoot when the sights are perfectly aligned and perfectly centered on the target - causing a heavy "snatch" on the trigger.

Search through here for the "aiming is useless" thread and watch that video, it had some good advice for folks who are trigger snatchers.

But, again, this is ROUGH guidance, and given with a lot of hesitation - there are a bunch of other things that could be happening instead of, or in addition to, what I mentioned above...

Banned
    What does your dry practice look like?
    I don't dry practice as such, I use a laser light trainer and their training gun and I don't seem to have any problem hitting the reactive target.

Whatever I'm doing I'm doing it consistently. I wear bifocals does that change anything

As was previously mentioned, remote diagnosis is a crapshoot. However what you're stating is something I've so clearly witnessed innumerable times that I'm reasonably confident I can help you.

In short, you probably need to:

• build your grip higher on the gun
    • grab the gun harder
    • accelerate your trigger press

Shitcan thoughts of a surprise break.

I'm not saying that there isn't nuance to be discussed there, but right now I know it's not helping so just get rid of it.

Banned
    I'm not saying that there isn't nuance to be discussed there, but right now I know it's not helping so just get rid of it.
    I don't understand this sentence.

User Tag List