Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Any merit to running a .40S&W now days?

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    It's a barrel and extractor away from being a 9mm. My department, which is generally "no non-factory mods" is authorizing this as we transition. I think the EFK fire dragon barrel is the one they tested, but can't recall for sure. If you care, I'll check.
    I hear ya...but for $98 more dollars I can always buy a blue label Glock (9x19). Kind of spoils the used Glock market.

Both my forays into the Fortay were pretty horrible- a Taurus PT100 and a Glock 27.
    Then again, not exactly the best of guns to encounter the cartridge, either.

OP, what if any access do you have to a long gun when on duty? As we all know, handguns generally suck regardless of caliber.

Also, we know 40 caliber guns wear parts and break sooner than 9mm. What kind of preventative maintenance does your agency provide or is it on you?

Which platform do you shoot better? A hit with a 9 beats a miss with anything else.

And as Psalms 144.1 mentioned... what are your ammo choices in each caliber. Some of the newer 9mm stuff does exceptionally well with barriers. I'm sure you know there are no guarantees - I've seen .308 not penetrate a vehicle and seen 12ga slugs stopped by a B pillar.

I have the option to carry 40 or 9 and choose the 9. I don't work highways/traffic but barring any concerns from your answers to the questions above I'd be inclined to stick with 9mm.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Both my forays into the Fortay were pretty horrible- a Taurus PT100 and a Glock 27.
    Then again, not exactly the best of guns to encounter the cartridge, either.
    Oh my god, that's like the first two movies you saw in theaters being Bio-Dome and Sex and the City 2.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

This is what I like about this forum. A good open discussion without turning into a caliber war. You guys have all brought up some great points. As for some of El Cid's questions, we have shotguns and have nicely tricked out ARs with RDs. You might say, we have all the best within reason, and this includes duty ammo which all is considered "barrier blind". We are waiting on some cases of the latest govt contract Speer 147gr G2s, and those should be here shortly. The G2 is one load that I have not seen in a car shoot, and am very interested in seeing what it can do.

With the G2s arriving shortly, and all the good advice I have read here, I think I will hold off on going .40S&W for now. I guess it is easier now days to get a 9mm to work more like a .40, than make the .40 handle like a 9mm.
    Last edited by Flintsky; 11-16-2016 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Oh my god, that's like the first two movies you saw in theaters being Bio-Dome and Sex and the City 2.
    The good- I traded the PT100 for a Sig 229 9mm. Later, I sold the Sig to buy that Glock 27. Because stopping power.

Quote Originally Posted by Flintsky View Post
    This is what I like about this forum. A good open discussion without turning into a caliber war. You guys have all brought up some great points. As for some of El Cid's questions, we have shotguns and have nicely tricked out ARs with RDs. You might say, we have all the best within reason, and this includes duty ammo which all is considered "barrier blind". We are waiting on some cases of the latest govt contract Speer 147gr G2s, and those should be here shortly. The G2 is one load that I have not seen in a car shoot, and am very interested in seeing what it can do.

With the G2s arriving shortly, and all the good advice I have read here, I think I will hold off on going .40S&W for now. I guess it is easier now days to get a 9mm to work more like a .40, than make the .40 handle like a 9mm.
    Glad to hear long guns are available. Are they within quick/easy reach or locked away in the trunk?

From everything I've been told about the GD G2 I think you're making the right call.

Stay safe.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    It's a barrel and extractor away from being a 9mm. My department, which is generally "no non-factory mods" is authorizing this as we transition. I think the EFK fire dragon barrel is the one they tested, but can't recall for sure. If you care, I'll check.
    I'm interested in the information. I'm currently using a 9mm barrel in my glock 27.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Glad to hear long guns are available. Are they within quick/easy reach or locked away in the trunk?

From everything I've been told about the GD G2 I think you're making the right call.

Stay safe.
    Long guns are between the front seats in gun locks. So, pretty easy to grab if the scenario plays out that way.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Flintsky View Post
    Long guns are between the front seats in gun locks. So, pretty easy to grab if the scenario plays out that way.
    The few times I have done ride-along, the officer always goes "Okay, officially, you can't be armed on this ride-along. Unofficially, everyone knows you're a gun geek, so here's the AR release button, if things go sideways cover me." That between-the-seat rapid release is surprisingly workable.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List