Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Any merit to running a .40S&W now days?

.357 Sig???

Quote Originally Posted by Slalom.45 View Post
    .357 Sig???
    Not an authorized caliber. I currently use 9mm, just mulling going back to .40S&W only in the P226 which I don't have experience in .40.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I really like my Glock 35. Gives me an option for USPSA major, makes for a thoroughly acceptable home defense/woods pistol. Was dirt cheap (~430?). Reliable, per my own testing, and accepts 15 round magazines which are legal for new purchase where I live (CO). .40 will be a panic- proof round for some time, too... Takes the same holsters as my 9mm Glocks, which are my primary focus, and has the exact same manual of arms + dimensions...

Though >90% of my shooting is 9mm, I am very happy that I own a handgun chambered in all the major service pistol calibers (9mm, .40, .45, .38, .357). Gives me some flexibility and it's fun to dabble.

It's not that .40 is bad... I just like 9mm more... and the ammo is cheaper

I would rather have .40 than .357 sig
    I would probably rather have .45 acp or 10mm over .40 though, because I like .45 acp and 10mm is just .40 with more case capacity aka more flexibility

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I've carried a P226 in .40 for several years, going from a P220 when the department began supplying training ammo but only in .40. Prior to jacking up my hands, I didn't have any issues with it. I find it fatiguing after 200-300 rounds now, but am getting better.

The best thing about .40 right now is the guns are at fire sale prices. The cool kids all need the 9mm right now, and the .40 is like Halloween decorations on Nov 1st. There's some smoking good deals on .40 P229 and P226 CPO sigs out there right now.

I'm not real worried about capacity, although I know some are. The Mec-gar flush fit mags hold 13. I keep 13+1 in the gun and a Mec-gar 15 round extended on my belt. You're not giving up much over the .40 in that regard.

I'm excited about going to 9mm because it'll be easier on my hands, but other than that...meh. Whichever they give me practice ammo for is what I'll carry.

Vending Machine Operator
    I had sworn I was not going to buy any more .40s, but the fact that you can get a P30 for under $600 now is nuts.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    If penetration is critical, then maybe the .40 has an advantage based on the testing you participated in. In any other circumstance, accuracy is the most critical component of stopping power, and you said you shoot the 9mm the best (as most of us likely do).

I have heard or read of more gun explosions in .40 than in all other calibers combined, and the one I personally witnessed was a .40. This is one reason I do not own a .40.

I try to say no to the forty all the time. I'm issued a G23 and carry it daily (not my first choice). All my own pistols are in 9mm. Guy on my team tried to sell me his G27 today for $300 with lots of extras. Hard to say no but I did. If it wasn't the OD green model I may of been swayed. Lots of good deals to be had on the .40 these days.

I'm not a .40 fan by any means, and of the 4 major semi calibers, it would be the last one I picked UNLESS I was doing a lot of work around vehicles and thought there was a high likelihood of having to shoot into, out of, or through sheet metal and auto glass. In that narrow scenario (assuming that I would be using a gun that handles the caliber well), .40 would be my first choice.

The SIG P229 and P226 handle the .40 very well, both in terms of durability and shootability. Yes, you do give something up in terms of recoil management and capacity, and for a non-highway patrol LEO, I would say stick with 9mm. But for your environment, I believe that the ability to better punch through light cover that is going to be present for almost to 100% of your contacts is worth the trade off, and would personally go with the .40.

If you do end up making the switch, I feel that the "Legacy" style short extractor SIGs are better than the newer long extractor versions. The Legacy models can still be had by non-LEOs, but you have to do some looking. As an LEO, they are very easy to find. Osage County is a good source, but Quantico Tactical and some others have them in stock regularly.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyonsgrid View Post
    Guy on my team tried to sell me his G27 today for $300 with lots of extras. Hard to say no but I did. If it wasn't the OD green model I may of been swayed. Lots of good deals to be had on the .40 these days.
    It's a barrel and extractor away from being a 9mm. My department, which is generally "no non-factory mods" is authorizing this as we transition. I think the EFK fire dragon barrel is the one they tested, but can't recall for sure. If you care, I'll check.

User Tag List