Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot sights vs. Iron sights

Someone is still butt hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by bravo7 View Post
    Someone is still butt hurt.
    Who would that be? I haven't seen that from anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shoot open, not a GM or anything, just A class. Not that that's particularly amazing, but for reference about who's talking.

Dots are very unforgiving of a poor index/natural point of aim/whatever you want to call it. Watch an open shooter who doesn't practice SHO/WHO struggle when they lose it. The smaller the window, the more unforgiving.

The dot constantly moving, and focusing on the target and not the dot takes work as well. The tendency to want the dot to be still, over aiming, and focusing on the dot in recoil/during transitions will slow you down a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    That concept didn't work so well for #15.
    Push the concept further by getting #5 and then tell no one. Would that not be fun?

I think it be hooves a shooter to be good with irons either way, up to their physical limitations. Dots fail, especially on pistols.

I absolutely think there is a massive learning benefit to being able to dry practice and to some degree live practice with a pistol mounted RDS. It shows what's going on in your trigger manipulation like nothing else. There are minute shifts that are obvious watching a dot or laser that just aren't when looking at irons.

I have a hard time with dots going blurry on me because I'm so habituated to getting the front sight sharp and clear.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I have a hard time with dots going blurry on me because I'm so habituated to getting the front sight sharp and clear.
    Suggest you wait a few years until the front sight is blurry and it will make the transition to a dot easier.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Echoing what Farscott and GJM said, the "mysterious" disappearance of the front sight with age removes much of the debate of irons vs RDS, and is is a mighty motivation to embrace the RDS, with all its current warts.

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    Echoing what Farscott and GJM said, the "mysterious" disappearance of the front sight with age removes much of the debate of irons vs RDS, and is is a mighty motivation to embrace the RDS, with all its current warts.
    At this stage in the game, I think this is what it largely comes down to. I, unfortunately, don't have any personal experience in shooting an RDS equipped pistol, but I have looked through a few of them here and there. I suffer from the same issue as Mr_White it seems as, upon initial presentation, I see a blurry smudge instead of a dot or triangle. I'm simply used to instinctively focusing on the front sight or ghosting the front sight on the target that my focus is just wrong for an RDS. Fortunately, even without my glasses, I can still make out a pretty crisp front sight. I'm sure as the years take their toll, that'll become less crisp, and hopefully by then, RDS equipped pistols will be as reliable as iron sight equipped pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Do not try to focus on the dot and the front sight at the same time. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the dot or the front sight that focuses, it is only yourself.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List