Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot sights vs. Iron sights

A red dot on a carbine is a no brainer -- they are easy to use, durable and reliable enough for games and face shooting, and an obvious advantage over iron sights.

By comparison, the red dot on handguns is nowhere near mature. The red dot on a handgun comes with a significant learning curve, the available red dots are not reliable/ergonomic enough for hard use pistols, and as many people do worse with them as shoot better.

I really enjoy shooting a red dot in USPSA Carry Optics, but I am still carrying an iron sighted pistol.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Is that something new? Think I have a red pin I got from a week when part of the time I shot a 226 with a RMR.
    No not new, that was from my time there, 2010ish.

Originally, Bill thought the red dot was a massive advantage at Rogers, but over time I think he became more indifferent. I believe all three perfect 125 scores he shot were with an iron sighted Glock 17.

For some people, with bad eyes and/or eye dominance issues, the dot is a very big help. Others are struggling to quickly acquire the dot in the one hand tests.

The best week I had at Rogers was with an iron sighted CZ, where I shot Advanced all six tests.

Originally, Bill thought the red dot was a massive advantage at Rogers, but over time I think he became more indifferent. I believe all three perfect 125 scores he shot were with an iron sighted Glock 17.

For some people, with bad eyes and/or eye dominance issues, the dot is a very big help. Others are struggling to quickly acquire the dot in the one hand tests.

The best week I had at Rogers was with an iron sighted CZ, where I shot Advanced all six tests.
    Is it fair to assume that's because his tests cover a broad base of distances where slide mounted optics excel and slow people down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Next challenge: go there with a red dotted CZ and become #5.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Next challenge: go there with a red dotted CZ and become #5.

That concept didn't work so well for #15.

I've had the opportunity to try a few RDS outfitted pistols and did not care for them. In most presentations I found myself looking through a window and not finding the dot. Granted more time and practice would make a positive difference but I just don't see the juice being worth the squeeze. Additionally I find RDS equipped pistols to look butt ugly and whether or not they really are,to me they look cumbersome and too vulnerable to damage on a carry gun.

This.

For me, the dot is the difference between being able to shoot accurately at distance and not being able to do so. Simply put, my eyes are bad and getting worse. I have a very tough time focusing on the front sight, and it gets harder each year. I can shoot well at seven yards with irons, but fifty yards is not doable with irons for me. Technology is extending my shooting time.

Even if you do not choose to carry a red dot pistol now, I think they are very valuable for a few reasons:

1) they help me be especially visual, and inevitably I feel like I can track iron sights better after shooting a red dot.

2) they provide a lot of trigger feedback in dry and live fire.

3) they are likely the sighting system of the near future, and even if not ready for prime time today, the effort you spend learning to shoot a dot will likely help you in the future when more mature optics reach the market.

Site Supporter
    I started shooting USPSA in 1986. I watched the first red dots start showing up after Barnhart had success. The original dots had issues with reliability, mount issues, wandering zeros, and such - but through innovation and trial/error they dominated USPSA such that non-Dot (and comp) shooters left to make a new sport called IDPA while USPSA added Limited then Production Class. Then lo and behold, optics started showing up on .MIL weapons - seldom do we see a US warrior now without an optic equipped rifle. I suspect that through innovation and trial/error again, that "duty" RDS or other optics will dominate service pistols over time.

User Tag List