Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig P239

Sig P239

Hi,

So I'm looking for some opinions. I currently shoot and compete with a Wilson Beretta 92 Brig Tac. I also own 3 other 92s. My previous competition gun was a CZ Custom Shadow that I shot about 30k rounds/year through. So, long story short, I'm a big fan of hammer guns. I tried striker fired guns, then 1911s, and now I'm back to the DA/SAs. My problem is that I need a DA/SA for carry. I'd like something smaller than my Beretta 92 Compact, but in DA/SA there appears to be much fewer options. With that said...

I hear a lot of people talk about Sig 239s being a solid solution, but is it genuinely any smaller or easier to carry than the Beretta 92 compact? Am I going to run into many major differences between the guns? Any advice/opinions are greatly appreciated. Hope this is okay that I started a new thread, just wanted more specifics than I could find with the search function.
    Last edited by Kirk; 11-15-2016 at 09:12 PM.

I can't help you with the Beretta 92 comparison, but the P239 is quite a gun for its size. A very underrated Sig. Extremely reliable, extremely accurate, and extremely durable. You can run it as hard as you would a full sized P226, and it is as easy to shoot as a P226. It is a much tighter gun than the P228 or P229, and in my experience much more accurate. The only change I would recommend is to ditch the factory plastic grips in favor a Hogue rubber wrap around grip. The plastic grips just aren't very secure and they don't help with the balance of the pistol.

P239s are a hotly debated topic, either you love them, or you hate them. I don't hate them, but I have absolutely no use for them. Why?

1. Size efficiency - the P239 is not very much smaller than a double stack pistol, except in the grip, but has all the down sides of the single stack magazine when it comes to capacity. They're also very heavy for what they bring to the table
    2. Weapons handling - the number one complaint I hear on the line from P239 shooters is "this mag is bad, the slide won't lock open when empty." In fact, the overwhelming majority of these issues are caused by shooters' thumbs riding the slide release lever ever so slightly. I tried for months to adapt my grip to the placement of the slide release, then decided the juice wasn't worth the squeeze
    3. Trigger - I LOVE old Sig DA/SA guns. The triggers were truly awesome. Maybe not as silky smooth as the pizza gun, but definitely well above average. More recently, I haven't felt an out of the box Sig trigger that I would consider even decent. Heavy, hitchy, gritty, stacking - who the heck does Sig think it is, HK? The other option is the DAK, which I consider to be a crime against humanity. Workable? Sure. Worth working? Not for me.

The P239 DOES right nice and flat in a good IWB holster, but so do a LOT of other options, albeit none of them DA/SA. I'd suggest you put a P239 side by side with your mini-pizza-gun, and see how much (or how little) difference there really is, to give up nearly 50% of the capacity of the gun...

Your and others' mileage may and obviously will vary, but the above is my completely biased opinion.

Site Supporter
    My agency issues P239 DAK's as a secondary or alternative gun to our P229R's.

The P239 is a great gun for plainclothes belt carry. It's a little bit too big for a back up carried in a pocket ankle etc. but it is a very concealable and size efficient gun which is just as easy to shoot as it's bigger relations, the P229 and P226. we actually have some officers and shoot the P239 better than the P229.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-15-2016 at 10:19 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Do you have the thinnest possible grips on your 92C?

Check out a USP compact, too. Going LEM and ditching the control lever slims it up a bit. Some like the generously-proportioned slide stop, but even Bubba's Kitchen Table Gunsmithing could do a halfway decent job shaving it if you can't deal with it.

I started with the premise that I wanted something with the basic slimness and feel in hand/balance of a Hi Power or 1911, but single stack, geometrically optimized around 9mm rather than adapted from something else, and DA/SA or DAO. I didn't know it until I started looking, but it turns out that's a fairly decent description of a third-gen S&W. Unfortunately, availability of both guns and service parts has become spotty.

Would it kill Sig to re-engineer the P239 to be a higher capacity gun? It's an amazing to shoot but goddamn if it isn't a huge gun for its 8+1 capacity. I might sell my German P226 for one. A while back, I read about how someone did some trick with swapping the .357 baseplates or something that gave his 9mm P239 an extra round or two. Can someone clarify this if they have an idea on what I'm talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    3. Trigger - I LOVE old Sig DA/SA guns. The triggers were truly awesome. Maybe not as silky smooth as the pizza gun, but definitely well above average. More recently, I haven't felt an out of the box Sig trigger that I would consider even decent. Heavy, hitchy, gritty, stacking - who the heck does Sig think it is, HK? The other option is the DAK, which I consider to be a crime against humanity. Workable? Sure. Worth working? Not for me.
    I have six SIG pistols with manufacture dates from 04 or 05 to 2014--the 2006 and before guns had wonderful triggers, and the 2014 model has one of the best, while the guns from 07-10 tend to be a little heavier and rougher with a little more creep, but still very manageable. In newer guns that I've handled (2014 and up), SIG seems to have worked things out with the consistency and quality of their trigger pulls.

I struggle with the P239--I've never owned one, but all reports say that they are incredibly accurate and shootable guns, and I tend to shoot SIGs better than any other brand of pistol. The P229 is a little chunky for me to conceal easily, particularly with the fat grip, and the P239 would alleviate that issue, but I don't know that the extra shootability would be worth the trade-off in capacity as compared to the dimensionally-similar P2000, which is my EDC. In a ban state or if I carried a larger SIG as a duty weapon the P239 would make perfect sense, but in a free world I don't know that it really does.

As OlongJohnson said, check out HK as well. I personally prefer the P2000 over the USPc both in shootability and concealment, but it probably comes down to a coin flip. I don't know that it will make a huge size-difference over the 92 Compact, but it will weight-wise (and it gives a more workable night sight option). The SK reduces size a little more, albeit with some sacrifice in shootability.

Great guns but I sold my P239's in 9 & .40 and bought a P225A1. I'd highly recommend you check one out its far more ergonomic than the P239 although slightly larger.

Site Supporter
    The 225a1 is a 239 in disguise - different trigger guard, but mechanically, it's just and adapted 239 (for good reason).. I was in a similar boat and bought an original p225 - man that thing was a shooter, but parts replacement is spotty due to lack of current part production. I'll be running a 92g model for the foreseeable future (although I'll be keeping a look out for a great deal on a p226...because reasons).

Anyway, the 225 went down the road a lot faster than I thought, even through I was determined to run the thing. The juice wasn't worth the squeeze, as it's barely smaller than a 229, and makes a huge capacity sacrifice for a bit better ergo. I don't see how the 239 would bring anything that your 92c doesn't already. I've been thinking for a similar replacement for a while, with a timeline of about 3 years to buy - and honestly the HK series is looking to be the best match with the px4 compact possibly being included- but I think the only thing you'll really gain over your 92c is less weight.

I love 239's. I own an older one and one built in 2015. As an aside the 2015 model is ever so slightly thicker than the older 239. It only makes a difference in kydex holsters. I put a short reset trigger in the one I carry. The trigger is fantastic but it breaks slightly to far back making it easy to yank shots off line. I even like the factory night sights with red sharpie in the rear dots.

That being said, if I was putting a lot of rounds through 92 I would read the PX4 compact thread from beginning to end.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List