Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprising 9mm Reloading Cost Calculations

I need a squad mom
    #RESIST

Midway has Black Friday deal on CCI with no hazmat

http://www.midwayusa.com/promo/no-ha...ign-_-20161118
    Last edited by CCT125US; 11-18-2016 at 07:19 AM.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    That's gotta be a typo.

Did you mean $0.11 per finished round? That's quite incredible.
    I'm at $0.13 and that's paying retail store prices for powder.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

It seems the general savings for reloading 9mm is about 50%, and a free brass helps out, as in pick up range brass.

Are all 9mm brass cases the same?
    What do you do about reloading Freedom Munitions brass?
    So do you reload them as usual or do you throw them away? Separating them is a HUGE PITA. The time spent make even half price ammo Not worth it, to me.

FM seems to use a proprietary case design. A stepped case if you will. I have read info( Some conflicting) on how the volume of powder it holds is different, and if the volume is very close to a standard case, the design may generate a different pressure.

A couple of years ago when the cost of ammo increased and component availability was limited I use to shoot a lot their reloads, the cost of the reloaded ammo in conjunction with the brass buyback program was cost efficient for decent ammo, but I have had some minor issues in the past, and the cost difference is just not worth it.

Not the best thread to ask this but I don't believe it's worthy of its own thread so forgive me for posting off topic.

I accidentally bought small pistol magnum primers and can't return them. I wasn't going to use them but read somewhere that guys have used them on 9mm. Has anyone done this? Or is it recipe for disaster?
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I quit reading replies after the first few posts, so if this has been covered, forgive me.

If you let your shooting buddies know you reload and need brass, you'll likely get baggies of it next time you meet up. I've been gifted or sold on the cheap a ton of pistol brass. The only thing I've ever bought Starline for is .45 Colt to load up to Ruger only loads. It's sort of a rare caliber among the circle of people I know, and it was worth it just to pony up and buy new. For 9mm, buy used or acquire from friends or the ground.

Site Supporter
    I reload on a Redding T7 turret. Sometimes, it's worth the time to load 9mm. Sometimes, it isn't. It's always worth it to load .38 and .357, sometimes worth it to load range ammo for the 5.56, always worth it to load soft point 5.56, always worth it to load 6.8, and always worth it to load .243 (my rifle has had exactly one box of factory ammo fired through it, ever).

Saving half the money on 9mm is awesome, if I have time to do it. When 9mm cost 10-12 bucks/100, I never did it. Now that it's >$20/100, and I can load for ~.11/round, I do it when time is worth less than the money. If I get into a 1050 setup, though, I'll be a freaking 9mm factory.

Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    It seems the general savings for reloading 9mm is about 50%, and a free brass helps out, as in pick up range brass.

Are all 9mm brass cases the same?
    What do you do about reloading Freedom Munitions brass?
    So do you reload them as usual or do you throw them away? Separating them is a HUGE PITA. The time spent make even half price ammo Not worth it, to me.

FM seems to use a proprietary case design. A stepped case if you will. I have read info( Some conflicting) on how the volume of powder it holds is different, and if the volume is very close to a standard case, the design may generate a different pressure.

A couple of years ago when the cost of ammo increased and component availability was limited I use to shoot a lot their reloads, the cost of the reloaded ammo in conjunction with the brass buyback program was cost efficient for decent ammo, but I have had some minor issues in the past, and the cost difference is just not worth it.
    The FM/IMT/AmmoLoad headstamp 'modestly' stepped 9mm brass has reloaded and shot just fine for me in significant volume. I've had no issues with stepped cases to date. I have READ about case head separations with stepped brass but not experienced it, and I have had (rare) case head blowouts or separations with 'premium' brass. I no longer bother to sort them out.

The recent exception to this is the new MAXXTech cases. These are so severely stepped that a single charge looks like a double charge and getting to the seating depth required for your gun chamber/bullet/OAL goal may not be possible. With my Mark 7 rig the MAXXTech cases have caused a clutch stoppage because IIRC the size/decapping die and/or swage backup rod couldn't handle the severe step and (2) heart stoppage when I spotted what appeared to be a double charge. I now remove these cases in my brass QC process.

Again, if you pour your 9mm cases onto a 40 cal plastic MTM case while shaking it, most will fall case head down and it is easy to inspect for stepped cases, obstructions, damaged case mouths, stepped cases, berdan primed cases, etc. QC to your combined level of anal-retentiveness, experience and equipment.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 11-18-2016 at 11:20 AM.

That stepped case thing looks ridiculous.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I have been reloading since the first of the year. I really wish I had gotten a progressive.

User Tag List