Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprising 9mm Reloading Cost Calculations

Quote Originally Posted by Flintsky View Post
    If you have perfect brass, then a fully automated machine works fine. However, with range pickups you never know how they will feed in your equipment. Some have crimped primer pockets that need to be swagged out, or just tight primer pockets in general depending on the brand. Brass has different alloy compositions, or may be +P, or some other variable that can slow down your equipment and if you force it, it can jam things up or break something. Either you need to do a full brass conditioning before put them in an automated reloading machine, or you need to use new brass. Personally I don't shoot enough to justify anything more elaborate than a Dillon 550b.
    Paging GuanoLoco, please pick up the white curtesy phone.
    #RESIST

No need to theorize, you have a forum member with first hand experience.

I started with a 550, but have gradually upgraded to a 1050, Mr. Bullet Feeder, Mark 7 1050 Autoloader Pro (1800 RPH), 1050-X (2400 RPH for brass processing etc.) and now a RF100 Small Primer Filler. I wet clean 9mm brass about 8000 cases at a time in a cement mixer, force-dry in an extra-tall food dehydrator, QC brass by hand, then 'pre-process' the brass (size/decap/swage) as a process that is wholly independent of loading.

Have no doubt - it works, but you will need to learn a lot about reloading in general, mixed range pickup brass processing, tooning a 1050, upgrades, etc. and log some time behind the wheel before you will be a baller-class reloader. Range pickup brass and bulk purchases of components to maximize discounts, sales & minimize shipping and Hazmat fees help keep costs low. I can maybe do $0.11 (NOT $0.011) ea with Federal primers (when available), a little cheaper with harder primers.

Productivity wise it is all about preparation and experience. With the machine tooned (including for any software/firmware changes, equipment or setting changes) and preprocessed cases I can sustain MAYBE 1600/hr +/- right now running solo. When things are realy running smooth that includes primer loading and MAYBE case gauging ammo in a Hundo. Here's the trick: It's all about machine reliability. ANY hiccups and you spend downtime detecting/fixing/tooning and not cranking rounds. So sometimes it is better to toon for reliability vs. throughput, or to serialize activities like case gauging (or delegate to a loading partner or do afterwards while watching Netflix) so you can focus on keeping everything running clean.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 11-17-2016 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I can maybe do $0.011 ea with Federal primers (when available), a little cheaper with harder primers.
    That's gotta be a typo.

Did you mean $0.11 per finished round? That's quite incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    That's gotta be a typo.

Some here wish that GL would copy over some of his posts on this topic from another forum. Some do...
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Some here wish that GL would copy over some of his posts on this topic from another forum.
    If he does not want to copy,
    I would not mind a link to another forum,
    I know how to follow and read . . .

Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    That's gotta be a typo.

Ya got me. I'm bad for typos but I usually go back periodically and view posts and edit them. PF is annoying because often I want to correct typing mistakes and brain farts but the edit window has expired.

I've posted quite a bit on Doodie Project as I have gone through my process with the 1050 and I'm not inclined to copy/repost it all because you can (a) read it there and (b) I tend to steadily evolve my equipment and processes as I learn more or things like software/firmware upgrades change things or I upgrade my equipment/dies/shell plates/whatever.

I'm happy to answer questions though. Making a modest attempt to stay on topic with this thread I think it is fair to consider not only the expense of components but also the opportunity cost of your time. I will give you some quick math on equipment though: Assume a 1050 + MBF + Mark7 will cost you on the order of $5K+ accoutrements. Assume in rough numbers you can save about a dime a round with reloads. 50K reloads will PAY for the $5K startup costs in savings, and you will get to shoot and train a LOT more. And you might find that you are a lot more popular with your shooting buddies, perhaps even more popular that you have time/patience for. Buddies are good though - my current rig is great operated solo but REALLY shines as a 'crew-served weapon system'.

Per request: (fair warning, The Doodie Project is a largely self-moderated forum of USPSA gamer trolls and general riff-raff, it may take some getting used to)

http://www.doodieproject.com/
    Search: GuanoLoco + 1050, Mark 7, Brass Monkey, etc.

There is more, but here are some 'epic' threads.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 11-17-2016 at 03:30 PM. Reason: I edit the crap out of everything I write, stop asking already

NOW, I understand why Luke is your bitch. 😈
    Last edited by taadski; 11-17-2016 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    NOW, I understand why Luke is your bitch. ��
    That's just natural. .

He's loading his own ammo on a 650, although I share knowledge and he is getting in on some bulk ordering.

Then again, he has asked me to bring him (1) a hammer spring (2) match ammo for Tatiana because he apparently hasn't had time to prepare or reload for tonight's match. Squad mom to the rescue! I'll be setting up the stages while squad son monkeys with his gun...
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 11-17-2016 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    http://www.doodieproject.com/
    Search: GuanoLoco + 1050, Mark 7, Brass Monkey, etc.
    Thanks for all the reading. Very interesting! luckally we are slow at work.

I refer to him as papa guano.
    i used to wannabe

User Tag List