Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Surprising 9mm Reloading Cost Calculations

I'm currently shooting about 1K per month, and I wouldn't want to feed that habit with my Co-ax. Even if I'm only hitting 450/hour on my 550 that's a lot faster than a single stage.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Yeah, I figured the co-ax would be used for producing some of my ammo but mainly for learning and getting familiar with the process. I assumed a good portion of my 1k per month would still be factory ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by cooterbaldwin View Post
    I love this place! Tons of great information in this thread.

I'm considering getting setup to reload for the first time. For the foreseeable future I'd be reloading 9mm only. Many a time I've read the "start on a single stage" advice. If I go single stage I'd likely go with a Forster Co-ax. The co-ax has quick and easy die changes, should last a lifetime and would be perfect for loading bolt gun ammo (mainly 223). I've also read that the 550 makes a good first press because you can operate it as a single stage. I've even read some posts or blog entries stating that starting off on a 650 is doable so long as you take your time and pay attention.

Regardless of press I'm planning on using pick-up brass. I've already been collecting my once-fired factory brass in anticipation of reloading someday. For brass prep the plan was de-priming and then wet tumble (although some of the brass sources listed in this thread have me rethinking that approach).

As I said, for now I'd be reloading 9mm only and shooting around 1k rounds per month. Any comments or recommendations?
    550 over single stage anytime. I load 308 on a 550 and hold 3/4MOA at 100 yards - and I'm pretty sure that I, not the ammo or gun, is the limiting factor. 1000 rounds a month is easily do-able on a 550 ... but you will quickly find you shoot a lot more when ammo costs drop. I don't even want to think about 1000/month on a single stage.

A simple Lee single stage, maybe with a Breech Lock quick change head, is handy for occasional odd tasks.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 12-24-2016 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cooterbaldwin View Post
    I love this place! Tons of great information in this thread.

I'm considering getting setup to reload for the first time. For the foreseeable future I'd be reloading 9mm only. Many a time I've read the "start on a single stage" advice. If I go single stage I'd likely go with a Forster Co-ax. The co-ax has quick and easy die changes, should last a lifetime and would be perfect for loading bolt gun ammo (mainly 223). I've also read that the 550 makes a good first press because you can operate it as a single stage. I've even read some posts or blog entries stating that starting off on a 650 is doable so long as you take your time and pay attention.

Regardless of press I'm planning on using pick-up brass. I've already been collecting my once-fired factory brass in anticipation of reloading someday. For brass prep the plan was de-priming and then wet tumble (although some of the brass sources listed in this thread have me rethinking that approach).

As I said, for now I'd be reloading 9mm only and shooting around 1k rounds per month. Any comments or recommendations?
    550 over single stage anytime. I load 308 on a 550 and hold 3/4MOA at 100 yards - and I'm pretty sure that I, not the ammo or gun, is the limiting factor. 1000 rounds a month is easily do-able on a 550 ... but you will quickly find you shoot a lot more when ammo costs drop. I don't even want to think about 1000/month on a single stage.

12K/year is an easy payoff - even if you can't get components at bulk prices. Your time IS worth something.

Site Supporter
    Yech...I need a progressive. Hell even a thousand rounds a month is sheer drudgery on my turret press.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I figured out last night that reloading is expensive. Normally I would shoot
    1000 maybe 2000 rounds a year. This year since I started reloading in January I have shot 9000 rounds. Wondering how much it would have been if I had gotten a progressive
    Next

Anyone who recommends to you to start on a single stage when you are only loading pistol ammo must not like you very much. I started on a single stage loading 9mm and 45. I would not recommend anyone doing the same.

A 550 is an excellent way to get started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    Anyone who recommends to you to start on a single stage when you are only loading pistol ammo must not like you very much. I started on a single stage loading 9mm and 45. I would not recommend anyone doing the same.

A 550 is an excellent way to get started.

This indeed. I started with one of if those handheld deals and went to a turret....A significant improvement, but ultimately, I should have got a Dillon 550 or a Hornady progressive and just skipped the turret press altogether.

If one is mechanically inclined and only plans to load one caliber I'd look at a 650 or 1050 if you have the scratch.

For loading multiple calibers or wanting to learn a little slower, a 550 is a great machine.

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    I think there's some benefit to being taught the basics on a single stage, because you get to see and learn each step individually. That said, F single stage for any kind of pistol ammo loading long-term; it's just too slow. In my mind, ideally a new reloader would find a friend who can show them the steps on a single stage and then immediately buy a 550, 650, or LnL for actual use.
    Last edited by olstyn; 12-25-2016 at 04:29 PM. Reason: corrected typo

User Tag List