Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprising 9mm Reloading Cost Calculations

fwiw, random info. feedback thoughts: [hopefully it helps someone]

I haven't gone through all the posts/pages but 9mm should run approx. .10-.14 per round, including bullet, powder, primer, purchased 1x fired brass - used for approx. 8 cycles.
    (Yes, I know you can run brass longer, but that is the calculation I used. I lose it before it gets to 8 anyways)
    - This is running coated 124 HCL on the low side, & MG 124 JHP on the high side.
    - Buy Bulk, stock when anything is on sale & free HAZMAT, etc.
    ^ This includes Presses ; )

Presses:
    I've had/have a Single, Turret, Dillon SDB, Hornady LnL, Dillon 650 for a number of years [Still own these]

* Single/Turret press is always great to have for random case prep or pulling bullets when you setup a press/caliber.

* SDB is just as fast as a LnL or 650 w/o case feeder
    - The proprietary dies turn people off, but people do not factor in the cost of what a quality set of carbide dies cost, tool head, inserts, shellplate, etc. for a conversion.
    ^ Those items added up can be half of what a "used" SDB cost for a dedicated caliber. You can't beat the size of the SDB & it being a progressive
    - I'll take a SDB for pistol over a 550 setup for pistol anyday

- I run a 1x small primer SDB & 1x large primer SDB for smaller volume [.380, .38 Spl., .45ACP]

Which 5x Station Progressive "with" case feeder: LnL vs 650XL?
    Ans.: Winner every time is the 650XL
    Reason: Less finicky & the case feeder actually does its thing well

LnL Pros:
    Cost, its a great brass prep progressive, depriming, trimming, swaging .223, etc.
    Easy to setup for various calibers & fast switch over.
    [The 650 I have is a dedicated 9mm setup, so it doesn't get touched]

LnL Cons:
    - Adjusting this/that, but once you work it out - not bad. When they first released it the shell plates to indexing was off, but seems they have ironed out a lot of it.

- Inline Fabrication for everything press lighting, ergo handles, mounts
    Tried Wet tumbling - got over it.
    Reason: Have little ones, wet tumbling to avoid lead particles being airborne, but I just went back to dry tumbling in the shed & separate where they don't play.
    - Two step dry tumble with Walnut, Polish & Mineral Spirits & Corn, Polish, & Mineral Spirits
    ^ Pick up media from Grainger, feed store
    - Setup on an outdoor plug in timer so I can set it and forget it. [Please tumble & separate outdoors or in a well ventilated area]

*If I could only have 1x setup "per" caliber:
    - Dillon 650 w/ Case Feeder & Mr. Bullet Feeder [Yes, you lose the powder check station, but I visually inspect every case after powder drop anyways]
    ^ I only load as fast as I can "safely", means pretty darn slow - not a race - visual inspection of every powder drop. Should have my pinhole/bore camera video to tablet setup this winter so I don't have to look down to inspect powder in case.

Dream setup:
    1050 w/ case feeder w/ Mr. Bullet w/ Mark 7 Autodrive - hopefully in the next year or two
    Last edited by SPDGG; 11-20-2016 at 02:00 PM.

If someone was only loading 9mm and let's say 1000 rds per month. Is the Dillon sdb or 550b the way to go if you can't afford 650 w/ casefeeder?
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    If someone was only loading 9mm and let's say 1000 rds per month. Is the Dillon sdb or 550b the way to go if you can't afford 650 w/ casefeeder?
    Used SDB. As stated above, when you look at presses look at the "total" cost when you add carbide dies, and on and on. Used SDB is the way to go for one caliber and only pistol. In honor of this thread I have been watching used SDBs and 550s on eBay.

My vote:

Square Deal B, ready to roll out of the box. Dillon Lifetime Warranty & CS is Top Notch [I sound like a Dillon ad, but it's all facts]
    - Extra Primer Tubes [Prefilled]
    - Add at the min, a Inline Fabrication Led Light or a LED BBQ Light over the Left Side to inspect powder drop
    ^ It's already pre-adjusted by Dillon for you : ) . . . . Just fine tune OAL based on Bullet profile

You can roll approx. 250-400 rnds/hr depending on your pace and prep. [2.5-4 hours of actually loading per month for 1K rounds = easy, no problem]
    - I like to have brass tumbled/polished ahead of time.
    - I still check my powder drop ave. over 10x drops to start then, load away.

* * * As stated, always always - Check your powder in case before topping off with a bullet. DO NOT become complacent with powder/reloading. Most if not all errors are from the monkey in front of the press

To add:
    - Dillon now makes a mount that sits under the SDB to place empty cases in front of the loaded/finished case bin. Its $20
    BUT, you can always drill some holes and bolt it together or zip tie it. Makes placing a case on the shell plate faster
    - If you use a wood bench, screw in a sheet metal ledge from HD that fits the bin, That works as well.

BTW: I hate reloading . . . . time I'd rather be shooting, but there is no free lunch
    Last edited by SPDGG; 11-20-2016 at 02:59 PM.

I can do near 450 rds of 9mm (if not more, using pre-filled tubes, god bless the Vibra Prime) with my 550 plus I can switch over to .223 or .300blk in about 5 minutes (using dedicated toolheads for each). I think the 550 is a no brainer for you.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 11-20-2016 at 03:56 PM.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by SPDGG View Post
    My vote:

Square Deal B, ready to roll out of the box. Dillon Lifetime Warranty & CS is Top Notch [I sound like a Dillon ad, but it's all facts]
    - Extra Primer Tubes [Prefilled]
    - Add at the min, a Inline Fabrication Led Light or a LED BBQ Light over the Left Side to inspect powder drop
    ^ It's already pre-adjusted by Dillon for you : ) . . . . Just fine tune OAL based on Bullet profile

You can roll approx. 250-400 rnds/hr depending on your pace and prep. [2.5-4 hours of actually loading per month for 1K rounds = easy, no problem]
    - I like to have brass tumbled/polished ahead of time.
    - I still check my powder drop ave. over 10x drops to start then, load away.

* * * As stated, always always - Check your powder in case before topping off with a bullet. DO NOT become complacent with powder/reloading. Most if not all errors are from the monkey in front of the press

To add:
    - Dillon now makes a mount that sits under the SDB to place empty cases in front of the loaded/finished case bin. Its $20
    BUT, you can always drill some holes and bolt it together or zip tie it. Makes placing a case on the shell plate faster
    - If you use a wood bench, screw in a sheet metal ledge from HD that fits the bin, That works as well.

BTW: I hate reloading . . . . time I'd rather be shooting, but there is no free lunch

I have owned a 550b, which I sold upon leaving the North East. When I realized I had also sold all my non 9mm guns (felt overwhelmed by STUFF, too many different mags holsters calibers bullets man I was working not enjoying myself anymore) the choice fell on the Square Deal b and I have not regretted it a moment. For a pistol caliber, the SDB works actually slightly better than the 550, the auto indexing helps a lot if you know how what to look for and have a feel for the machine.

Here in Austin my set up is totally zen, and am enjoying reloading more than ever. I don't calculate my costs that closely but I am in the ballpark of many, since I pick up my brass and shoot a mix of Xtreme, Acme and Blue Bullets loaded with TG.

I have bought in bulk pooling up with other shooting buddies more than once, and so we save even more on shipping and hazmat fees. Being member of a club helps a lot, sometimes I go for a practice and there is a little brass beach of
    super clean brass obviously shot only once, easy to pick and so conveniently placed. I get so much this way that I can afford to ignore brass during matches which improves my concentration.

This is my current setup, in a corner of the green room overlooking the yard. I run about 250-350 rounds per session of an hour of so listening to podcasts, or simply Bach. Life is good.

Name:  IMG_0351.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  51.9 KB
    Last edited by LostDuke; 11-20-2016 at 04:27 PM.

Site Supporter
    In the spirit of this thread, I have been watching used Square Deals and 550s on eBay and the local "classifieds". In Georgia, we have "Outdoors Trader" or "ODT" that lists guns, ammo, accessories plus myriad other outdoor stuff. I just returned from meeting someone to buy a used Dillon 550, two quick change tool heads, two Dillon powder drops, three sets of dies, plus myriad other reloading small tools and 2000 Federal Small Pistol primers for great price. I have one 550 currently set up for small primers used mostly as a 9mm press with a quick change head for 40. Going to set up this second "new to me" 550 in large primer and use it for 45ACP and 260/6.5G/6.5CM/308/3006 rifle. Just need to find a deal on a "Strong Mount".

Watch Inline Fabrication over Black Friday and Cyber Monday for deals on strong mounts, lighting, etc. Everything I have bought from them is as fantastic as people say. Fast shipping too.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    How do you like your LnL?
    As I've said in other threads before, it's not perfect, but I'm happy with it, and I'd make the same decision again. My budget couldn't really justify a 650 and Lee products were not under consideration, so it came down to 550 vs LnL, and between the LnL die bushings to change calibers quickly, 5 stations vs 4, and autoindexing vs not, it was pretty easy to choose the LnL. The only downside I've noticed is that, as SPDGG said, it can require a little bit of adjusting/tuning when first set up (mine's timing was just a little bit off), and as I've said in other threads before, the primer slide, while it works well, is somewhat vulnerable; stray grains of powder can cause it to stick/jam. As long as I keep an eye on that, it runs smoothly.

How about you? Are you happy with your 550, or are you looking for other options?

I suppose I could add the lnl to my list.

SDB is going to be a little cheaper but I think the upgrade capability of the 550 is something to consider as well. Dillon has such a good following I feel like I'll regret not going blue.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

User Tag List