Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprising 9mm Reloading Cost Calculations

My only comment is the limited upgradeability of the 550 vs 650. 550 is nice for lots of calibers inexpensively. With the basic 650 you have options for a case feeder, bullet feeder, swager and even automation.

Consider that in the future you might gift your self an upgrade every year or two.

Lots of people watching eBay here. I wonder what that chances are of someone here out bidding another forum member on a press?

Do Dillon presses ever go on sale? I'm not in a hurry to pick one up but I do want to buy one. Early spring is probably my cut off date.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    SDB is going to be a little cheaper
    It is like $45 cheaper, but included the dies. So if you might already have dies it is pretty close.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I had a SDB for a while, at the same time I came into a 550. The 550 was easier to add more calibers to for less money, but I did like the SDB. If money were no object, the simplest thing may be to buy a new SDB for each caliber you used much and leave them set up (A buddy used to buy a new shotshell loader when he wanted a different load and just leave them all set up). I don't need any more loading speed than the SDBs or 550 offer. The 550 is a good unit for me though, and works with rifle cartridges. Want to get it going for 30-30 at some point.

For you guys looking for used Dillons, I'm this close to putting my 550 up to help fund a 650. This happens to me about once a year, I may go with it now [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My buddy has a MINT 650 with lots of goodies for sale for $850
    i used to wannabe

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dsb View Post
    Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind, how much brass vs. how many rounds per year are you talking about? For example, you have 10k pieces of brass that you've reloaded twice a year for 8 - 9 years?

Thanks,
    Dave Bateman (the one in GA)
    I started off with 1500 Remington cases then added a couple of hundred more, what's happening with work kind of dictates how often I do a loading cycle. It's usually every month or two.
    I still have about 1000 cases give or take a bit.

I got a good deal on some star line brass, so I'm going to swap over to that.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    If someone was only loading 9mm and let's say 1000 rds per month. Is the Dillon sdb or 550b the way to go if you can't afford 650 w/ casefeeder?
    For me SDB auto indexing sold me over the 550, for someone only loading one caliber and fairly low volume it's not a bad press.
    But like others have mentioned there's not a lot of room to grow, you can't load rifle ect on it.

Once I worked out the SDB I could load fairly quickly, I would slot a piece of brass in at the same time is was placing the projectile.
    I went to 1050s after the SDB because bullet feeder and case feeder.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Posting this here too. Inline Fabrication having 15% off sitewide for Black Friday, coupon code Black2016 - http://inlinefabrication.com/

That's the lowest I've seen their stuff.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to sell my current press and buy a 550b after Christmas. I'll try to buy used first if I can.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

User Tag List