Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ECQC

This subject is one of my favorite reasons to run the weak side pocket J as a back up. Or weak side aiwb if you are a strong side hip primary kinda person.

I also think Isaac seems to have considered his situation and weighed that a J for primary fits his lifestyle. That's cool. I roll out with a J primary and a bigger gun in my daypack somewhat regularly in low-risk situations. I like the option to gun-up if I'll be out after dark or if circumstances change, but I'm willing to accept what I calculate as a very minuscule extra level of risk during some day-to-day activities for that extra comfort.

Everyone has that different risk tolerance and risk level daily. A single Jframe is still infinitely better than no gun at all!

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post

I also think Isaac seems to have considered his situation and weighed that a J for primary fits his lifestyle. That's cool. I roll out with a J primary and a bigger gun in my daypack somewhat regularly in low-risk situations. I like the option to gun-up if I'll be out after dark or if circumstances change, but I'm willing to accept what I calculate as a very minuscule extra level of risk during some day-to-day activities for that extra comfort.

Everyone has that different risk tolerance and risk level daily. A single Jframe is still infinitely better than no gun at all!

Absolutely. I was not arguing Isaac's choice whatsoever. I was only addressing the questions Mister X had. I myself will at times run a my 642 as a primary. In very rare and specific situations, but it is still a possibility. I am also still searching for a good deal on a 2" k-frame. When I do finally get one, I may very well run it a bit more often.

My concern with the questions raised by Mister X was solely due to what I perceived as a gear answer to the ECQC problem, not as a general dismissal of the snubby.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

My reasons for choosing the J-frame were based on my own training experience and analysis. I admit I may be wrong.

I don't see me having chosen the hammerless snub as a hardware solution to a software problem. It is more a matter of it being more forgiving in close-quarter scenarios from what I've seen and experienced. Better inherent weapon retention, no limp-wristing concerns, no slide to be pushed out battery or otherwise fouled, muzzle contact shots, generally more reliable. Plus I pocket carry a lot and prefer a snub in that role.That's just my opinion and I could be off base. My thinking is that no one is perfect no matter how well trained they happen to be. The best fighters get hit and knocked out just as the best basketball players miss shots and the best race car drivers sometimes wreck and I don't expect to be perfect in any actual self-defense situation I'm involved.

I'm getting older and simply don't have the same physical capabilities I once did and it will only get worse as time goes on. After having taught martial arts, self-defense and DT for several decades mixed with some security work physically apprehending shoplifters, I tend to see everything through that prism, but I'm thinking my perspective is somewhat skewed and not everything civilian defense related is an extreme close-quarter problem as I tend to view them. I think it would actually be a good thing if I'm wrong.

User Tag List