Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Which AR upper for deer hunting

64gr soft point should do well with whitetail in Pennsylvania, I would be cautious. 275lb deer are comman and would hate to lose one to a marginal caliber. This deer was 260lbs live weight and one ounce of lead at 1600fps did him in.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I plan to kill at least one doe next year with a 300 AAC Blackout. Please chime in with your favorite deer load in 300 BO. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerf16 View Post
    If we are going obscure, I submit the Wilson Combat 7.62x40
    I have killed 4 does,120-132, in the last two years (none got away) with factory ammo, 87gr Speer Hot-Cor bullet out to 150 yards. Factory "deer" ammo is available from SRC Arms. 5.56 or .223 necks up to .257 easily. Bullets, dies, and reloading data is available. Barrels are $229. Nothing else needs changing. Complete uppers are available. Obscure possibly, do-able definitely.

If we are going obscure, I submit the Wilson Combat 7.62x40
    you are a very bad influence on me. now i want a 7.62X40.

I had White Oak Armament build me a 6.8 upper with a fluted sixteen-inch barrel with 1:11 twist and a carbon fiber forend. Added a Leupold 6x scope and put it on a lower with an A2 stock. Pretty light and easy to deal with in the cold, especially for stalk hunting. Shoots better than I can shoot it with the Hornady 120-grain SST.

In my mind, the answer to this question depends on your hunting environment. Hunting along side huge bean/corn/etc.. fields? I'd get a Grendel. Hunting in thick brush or dense woods? Get a big bore in whatever flavor you want. I choose a Beowulf due to Michigan not allowing necked down cartridges in the shotgun zone, otherwise it would have been a .458

Quote Originally Posted by Little Creek View Post
    I have killed 4 does,120-132, in the last two years (none got away) with factory ammo, 87gr Speer Hot-Cor bullet out to 150 yards. Factory "deer" ammo is available from SRC Arms. 5.56 or .223 necks up to .257 easily. Bullets, dies, and reloading data is available. Barrels are $229. Nothing else needs changing. Complete uppers are available. Obscure possibly, do-able definitely.
    Don't misunderstand me. I think the 7.62x40 is a really great cartridge. If I was not already committed to the 300BLK I would build one.

Don't misunderstand me. I think the 7.62x40 is a really great cartridge. If I was not already committed to the 300BLK I would build one.
    Do you have a favorite deer load for the 300BLK?

I guided a fine young man ( 12 years old ) on his first deer hunt right before xmas. His dad hand him set up with a remington M7/300BLK and a suppressor. He busted a doe( approx 95 lbs) at 73 yards using Wilson Combat loaded 110gr TTSX barnes bullets. DRT. Broke the off shoulder when it exited....the bullet performed well. That was one very happy kid.....and I was impressed with the 300 BLK/TTSX performance. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Fennell View Post
    I guided a fine young man ( 12 years old ) on his first deer hunt right before xmas. His dad hand him set up with a remington M7/300BLK and a suppressor. He busted a doe( approx 95 lbs) at 73 yards using Wilson Combat loaded 110gr TTSX barnes bullets. DRT. Broke the off shoulder when it exited....the bullet performed well. That was one very happy kid.....and I was impressed with the 300 BLK/TTSX performance. YMMV.
    A Golden Retriever sized doe, doesn't qualify as mature Pennsylvania buck

User Tag List