Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which AR upper for deer hunting

Which AR upper for deer hunting

So in the state of Pennsylvania we might take a big step and permit some hunting with a semi auto gun. Hoping that someday you can hunt deer with a semi what caliber AR upper would you buy. 450 bushmaster, 458 SOCOM , 50 Beowulf, something else?
    Not that it really maters being as my hunting ground you are doing a lot of sitting and no shooting i could hunt with a semi cap-gun and be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by butler coach View Post
    So in the state of Pennsylvania we might take a big step and permit some hunting with a semi auto gun. Hoping that someday you can hunt deer with a semi what caliber AR upper would you buy. 450 bushmaster, 458 SOCOM , 50 Beowulf, something else?
    Not that it really maters being as my hunting ground you are doing a lot of sitting and no shooting i could hunt with a semi cap-gun and be fine.
    Not familiar with PA hunting regulations, but what is wrong with a regular 5.56 upper for deer? My understanding of hunting out east is that it is predominantly pretty close range, and if you aren't hunting anything larger than deer, 5.56 will do fine with a decent bullet at most of the ranges you might have a shot.
    TY83544

You looking for a reason to buy something new? If so, we can spend your money all sorts of ways -- 6.5, 6.8, .300 BLK.

Is there a minimum caliber in the proposed or rumored regs?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    You looking for a reason to buy something new? If so, we can spend your money all sorts of ways -- 6.5, 6.8, .300 BLK.

Is there a minimum caliber in the proposed or rumored regs?
    Heh, that hits close to home. I was *this* close to putting together a 6.5G for an elk hunt this year, but the timing was a little too tight. So instead I'll be throwing a .300BLK upper on my SBR lower.
    TY83544

nothing wrong with the 5.56 just was looking for something "different" i like different things. For example this years back up gun for hunting is a contender carbine in 7X30 waters. Where i am most shots 0-300 yards. I am not sure if there will be a min caliber this proposal is just to give the game commission the option to permit semi's. who knows what will happen.

kind of like the 6.8spc don't know why i didn't put it on my first list
    Last edited by butler coach; 11-15-2016 at 11:36 AM.

For whitetail I don't see the need to go with anything bigger than the 30 caliber family, because I wouldn't want to wreck meat.

I have toyed around with the idea of switching to .300 BLK for hunting, but it's low on the list.

I like .300Blk with supers for shorter ranges and 6.5G for medium range. One of our SMEs (SLG) makes a compelling case for 6.5G and he has used his to good effect hunting.
    #RESIST

I'd look at a 300 BLK, personally. Doesn't require any new magazines, should be pretty effective inside 200 yards with supersonic loads, and it's "different" enough to titillate, without needing significant changes to your existing rifle. When you start extending ranges to 200-300 yards, I'd think the 6.5G/6.8 might be better options (with the G being what I'd opt for, because special snowflakeness and accuracy). As dropkick mentioned, there's absolutely no need for any of the "big bore" AR calibers for deer, and they're unlikely to give you the accuracy/performance you need for 300 yard shots.

Having said all that, if PA opens to semi-autos, I'd ASS-u-me there will be a magazine capacity restriction that goes along with it, so, frankly, I'm not sure what all you gain from trying to hunt with an AR.

Quote Originally Posted by Talionis View Post
    Heh, that hits close to home. I was *this* close to putting together a 6.5G for an elk hunt this year, but the timing was a little too tight. So instead I'll be throwing a .300BLK upper on my SBR lower.
    If I did that, a big bull would probably show himself at 430 yards.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by butler coach View Post
    nothing wrong with the 5.56 just was looking for something "different" i like different things. For example this years back up gun for hunting is a contender carbine in 7X30 waters. Where i am most shots 0-300 yards. I am not sure if there will be a min caliber this proposal is just to give the game commission the option to permit semi's. who knows what will happen.

kind of like the 6.8spc don't know why i didn't put it on my first list
    If you're interested interested in a 6.8 upper, shoot me a PM. Might have one to sell.

User Tag List