Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which AR upper for deer hunting

Which AR upper for deer hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    - just how much inroad has the AR platform made in the medium game hunting scene?
    I'd say quite a bit. I hunt on a large ranch in NE Texas with a group of 30+ hunters that span many different demographics. Not uncommon to see an AR out there serving a variety of different purposes.

The low recoil is nice for wives and kids, and it's great to have in hand if you have to drop the hammer on a group of hogs in an open field. And no problems with that one well placed shot on a deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Crews; 11-17-2016 at 07:08 AM.

SRC Arms, 25-45 Sharps

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Does Wyoming still have the .24 or bigger caliber rule? As I recall from my hunting days there that .223 was verboten.
    Hence the 6x45 wildcat. Just necked up .223 case to use .243 bullets. AR barrels are around.

Site Supporter
    Butler, had my first CA deer season with a 6.8. Worked well but I sure the Blacktail are smaller than your PA whitetail. I'd be confident with the 6.8. Do you have any lead restrictions? I used Wilson Combat loaded 95 gr TTSX. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by CakeEater View Post
    Butler, had my first CA deer season with a 6.8. Worked well but I sure the Blacktail are smaller than your PA whitetail. I'd be confident with the 6.8. Do you have any lead restrictions? I used Wilson Combat loaded 95 gr TTSX. Hope this helps.
    Where are you hunting in SoCal?

Site Supporter

Which AR upper for deer hunting

Sorry for the late response. Vandenberg AFB past Lompoc. In 29, guys will do some coyote right outside base (not literally but we're working/wishing on the golf course access!). Some of the guys have done Big Bear and Pendleton as well. New to hunting so I'm trying to go wherever I can. Hopefully we can work another trip to Vandenberg in Feb for hogs.

Last edited by CakeEater; 01-04-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CakeEater View Post

we do not have any lead restrictions. however i do load alot of ammo with the barnes ttsx. that is a bad ass bullet on whitetails.

and for an update i received a 6.5 Grendel for a present from my father. making plans to take him to west Virginia hunting next fall
    Last edited by butler coach; 01-05-2017 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Creek View Post
    SRC Arms, 25-45 Sharps
    If we are going obscure, I submit the Wilson Combat 7.62x40

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Last I heard -- which was a few years ago -- PA was shotgun or flintlock rifle only...?

Only one county (Bucks) is shotgun only during the regular firearms deer season, centerfire rifles everywhere else.

Muzzleloading used to be flintlock only but that's been amended.

Inside 200 yards 5.56/.223 is fine if you can precisely plant shots. This tenderoni fell to a single 55-grain TSX; that's exit hole.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  73.6 KB ETA: I'd set this carbine up for then 10-year-old nephew from CO to kill his first big game in TN. He wound up using a .243 Winchester Model 70 instead. Didn't bother moving VFG when I took it out in December '13.
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 01-07-2017 at 02:47 PM.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

User Tag List