Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Mini-Thirty in 7.62x39 - Consensus?

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Very close to pulling the trigger on a 2016-production WASR-10. My logic being: It's a decent starter AK, and if I like the platform enough, I can upgrade to an Arsenal or Molot/VEPR down the line. Like starting with an M&P Sport to figure out if you like ARs.

I'd rather just start with the Arsenal, but money isn't unlimited and if I end up hating the platform I'll be out $650-700, not $1200-1400.

I still think the C39V2 looks super cool, but I'm trusting the forum and AK Operator's Union that it's not a great choice.

Did we discuss Zastava N-PAP or High Standard at all?

Edit: Well...found a USP Compact Stainless NIB for $649, so this might need to wait til next months paycheck and/or my tax return. Still planning on getting one though.
    I'd stick with the new production WASR 10. They are SOLID rifles for the money. Very happy with mine. I'll probably add another before the next major election just because. I do consider a Krebs Enhanced Safety a mandatory AK modification. Makes safety manipulation much more efficient and fast. Both engaging and disengaging. Drop in part.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    I'd stick with the new production WASR 10. They are SOLID rifles for the money. Very happy with mine. I'll probably add another before the next major election just because. I do consider a Krebs Enhanced Safety a mandatory AK modification. Makes safety manipulation much more efficient and fast. Both engaging and disengaging. Drop in part.
    I wish someone offered an enhanced safety without the BHO notch. Otherwise I am a huge fan.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I wish someone offered an enhanced safety without the BHO notch. Otherwise I am a huge fan.
    There's this version, though I have never seen one in person: http://shop.akoperatorsunionlocal477...fety-Lever.htm

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    There's this version, though I have never seen one in person: http://shop.akoperatorsunionlocal477...fety-Lever.htm
    Thanks for that. I'll have to give that one a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    What's wrong with having the BHO notch?
    Shoot more, post less...

Site Supporter
    Leaves th action and internals exposed to junk.

Vending Machine Operator

Ruger Mini-Thirty in 7.62x39 - Consensus?

To necro my own thread for a moment.

Southern Ohio Gun has Yugo 59/66 SKS rifles, advertised as "Unissued" condition, with the option for cosmetic hand select with the cosmoline cleaned off for $439.

Is there any reason I shouldn't pull the trigger on that and consider my 7.62 problem solved cheap?

Edit: Okay, google fu tells me that's not a screaming deal that that VG to Excellent are typically around $425-450.

Still, maybe not a bad solution. Unless arsenal gets their new cheap AK rolling soon.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 01-24-2017 at 02:22 AM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

To necro my own thread for a moment.

Southern Ohio Gun has Yugo 59/66 SKS rifles, advertised as "Unissued" condition, with the option for cosmetic hand select with the cosmoline cleaned off for $439.

Is there any reason I shouldn't pull the trigger on that and consider my 7.62 problem solved cheap?

Edit: Okay, google fu tells me that's not a screaming deal that that VG to Excellent are typically around $425-450.

Still, maybe not a bad solution. Unless arsenal gets their new cheap AK rolling soon.
    I wouldn't unless you were specifically in the market for a very nice SKS. For just a 7.62x39 platform, either find a cheap SKS (like a bubba you can unfuck) or get a WASR-10.

To necro my own thread for a moment...
    Since the time of the OP, the most notable development in AK market here in the states has been the availability of the following -

http://www.k-var.com/shop/SLR107-11.html (google will produce a few others who should have them in stock now too)

$850 is about as good as it gets for this class of AK nowadays imo.

Not a side folder, but otherwise has all the bulgarian SLR107 AK goodness going on.

As always, some possibility of splotchy paint and/or slightly canted sight - no affect on function though.

these guns RUN in my personal experience.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by fishing View Post
    Since the time of the OP, the most notable development in AK market here in the states has been the availability of the following -

http://www.k-var.com/shop/SLR107-11.html (google will produce a few others who should have them in stock now too)

$850 is about as good as it gets for this class of AK nowadays imo.

Not a side folder, but otherwise has all the bulgarian SLR107 AK goodness going on.

As always, some possibility of splotchy paint and/or slightly canted sight - no affect on function though.

these guns RUN in my personal experience.
    Wait, is this the new affordable arsenal? It's already available to buy?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List