Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Mini-Thirty in 7.62x39 - Consensus?

I'd do the CZ personally. Though I wouldn't kick a Galil ACE out of bed.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by Rack View Post
    Hizzie,

Can you elaborate on the DDI report? Exactly what does that mean?

Repeated failures to eject.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=UHm_j1pVrdE

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=UHm_j1pVrdE
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

As far as I know Arsenal is G2G but I dont know very far to be fair. What I do know is that if you really want a high-dollar item you almost never regret forking over the dough for it but if you settle for something cheaper you almost always wish you had spent the extra money for the one you really wanted. So if you want the Arsenal, go for it.

Vending Machine Operator
    Woah, the extractor just snapped in half. Is that a common AK issue? O_o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Is that a common AK issue?
    Nope. Sample of one and all that, but interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    Nope. Sample of one and all that, but interesting.
    Interesting since this is one of the rifles DDI built using their own USA made parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Ruger Mini-30

Well, I am in the minority here. I happen to like the mini-series rifles and owned several, including (2) mini-30s. One blued and one stainless Model. These rifles were made before the re-tooling, and the last series with the flip-up sights and .308 barrel.

Both guns were extremely reliable with the factory standard 5 shot magazines. I hunted and went target shooting with mine. These rifles are not match rifles, but have enough practical accuracy to hunt within short and medium range. Using American Eagle and USA (Winchester) 123 gr fmj both were 2-3 moa at a hundred yards. Chicom ammo was more like 3-4, somtimes more. I shot deer, coyotes, and high desert jack rabbits with the rifles. The 7.62x39 round kills small and medium game very well.

Short-comings of the mini-series [earlier series]:
    1) magazines
    2) stock iron sights
    3) Light barrel (new series is fairly thin as well) .308 bore
    3) Ammunition selection (domestic and brass cased most reliable)
    4) Accessories (adding lights, certain optics, etc)

Strengths:
    1) Reliability (5 shot mags)
    2) Light and handy rifle with short length of pull on stock
    3) Ranch series including mini-30 works great with a standard scope (loctite rings and screws)
    4) With short magazines fits a saddle scabbard well for horseback or atv.

My familiarity with the new models is limited, but I expect the rifles will be comparable. Another consideration is the fact that these rifles, the mini-series, have been used extensively by the California Department of Corrections, San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office, and the California Highway Patrol. It is not a combat rifle, but works as light-duty patrol rifle or short-range hunting arm.

If you really like it buy one. It's a fun gun, I still kick myself for selling mine. I've seen them show up on CDNN for good prices.

P.S. If you buy one I wouldn't recommend shooting it without ear protection, indoors, or close to another shooter at a covered range (patio cover) it sounds like a howitzer.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Personally if I was buying a 7.62x39 gun my rankings would be:

1. Arsenal or similar quality AK
    2. VZ-58
    3. SKS

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    VEPRs are awesome but really heavy. I am a fan of the simple, milled Arsenal 7.62x39 guns.
    He's right. I have a VEPR and I love the gun, but it's probably a lot heavier than a semi-automatic rifle in this caliber needs to be.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 11-17-2016 at 09:43 AM.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Meh. Get a vz58 if you want something unique in the caliber, and if you don't have an AK take a hard look at Vepr units (can get them already converted if you don't want the effort).

I dan't come up with any good reason to have a Ruger Mini in any flavor, unless your only rifles you've ever had in life (and will never deviate from) include the M1 carbine, M1A, or M1 Garand.

Vending Machine Operator
    This thread has been a wealth of information. I love this forum. Only supporting membership I buy on the whole interwebs. Thank you all.

I am leaning toward a high-quality AK variant, though the DDI failure video (when DDI is a pretty well-regarded option) has me somewhat leery.

I also might be able to justify a CZ or Howa bolt gun as well, since Scout Rifle and AK-type are very different roles.

It feels like my initial craving several years ago of an Arsenal may have been right on the money. Just need to follow buy-once-cry-once.

The hipster part of me things the Galil or 58 would be fun just to have something a bit different from a run-of-the-mill AK. Especially since I only plan to get the one AK-type so accessory interchangeability isn't huge.

I still might get the Mini someday, but I'll wait until someone local is selling one cheap.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 11-17-2016 at 10:18 AM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List