Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Mini-Thirty in 7.62x39 - Consensus?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Well, since you have a DD lower, you could just build an upper. The AR15Performance fans over at 68forums like his barrels and bolts, and I haven't seen anyone with bad things to say about CPD mags for that application.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Some great input with a lot to think about.

Is the WASR a better choice than the C39V2? They're both Century. I liked the C39V2 because it was new-production and I don't really like beaten up/used stuff very much, and as I understand it all the WASR type guns are used to some extent (maybe I'm wrong). It was the AK Operator's Union who said it shook itself apart at 5,000 rounds.

The Arsenal SLG-107 is the one I have wanted for ages, but I was told even those aren't a sure bet.
    Unless something has changed WASRs are good guns. They are made in Romania as guns which take a single stack 10 round mag for import purposes - century then converts them to take standard AK mags by replacing the feed guide and opening up the mag well.

It's preferable to find a dealer with several and pick the best one. Sometimes the mag wells are opened up too much or not enough. They also sometimes have crooked front sight housings (not at 12 o'clock)
    Last edited by HCM; 11-15-2016 at 09:21 PM.

Vending Machine Operator
    I live in sort of a small area so there aren't really any gun stores with AK supplies. Maybe worth a road trip.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I live in sort of a small area so there aren't really any gun stores with AK supplies. Maybe worth a road trip.
    Might be worth a trip to a decent gun show.

Or just order a DDI.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-15-2016 at 10:23 PM.

Post election you can now find WASRs just over $600. Great value in the current market. They are only IMPORTED by Century. They get the mag wells hogged out and 922r compliance parts added. The RAS47/C39/C39V2 are BUILT by Century. At this point I would avoid the newer Yugo guns. Too many reports of poor heat Treat on receivers. I had an OPAP that showed excessive wear in less than 2k. AKOU had the NPAP fail and now a second that had cracks form in receiver.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Might be worth a trip to a decent gun show.

Or just order a DDI.
    Looking at a number of DDIs, VEPRs, and Arsenals right now.

I have kicked an expensive hornet's nest, some of these are beautiful.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

The DDI AKOU is testing right now shit the bed in less than 600 rounds.

Keep in mind a VEPR is gonna carry a weight penalty.

The SLR-107 series are nice. I briefly had a 107CR. I hated that the stock folded to the left. Traded it for a SAM7SF and ruined stamped guns forever. The SAM7's are super smooth.

I took my SF'S to CSAT and learned a lot. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ber-22-23-2016
    Last edited by Hizzie; 11-15-2016 at 11:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

VEPRs are awesome but really heavy. I am a fan of the simple, milled Arsenal 7.62x39 guns.

The DDI AKOU is testing right now shit the bed in less than 600 rounds.
    Ack, was there just recently and they were recommending them . I guess it is back to Arsenal for baseline quality.

Hizzie,

Can you elaborate on the DDI report? Exactly what does that mean?

User Tag List