Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Mini-Thirty in 7.62x39 - Consensus?

Gander mountain has Wasr's for under $650 with free shipping. Everywhere else I've checked was over $700. As much as I have a hard-on for a Mini-30 Tactical, I'd rather have a AK. I also have a couple nice 16" SKS rifles, one "Paratrooper" with a fixed 10-round mag and one that takes AK mags. Handy guns but there's no good way to mount anything on them.

I like the idea of the mini's, just never was real happy with any of them, particularly the accuracy. Theres people that can make them accurate, but youd be money ahead to just buy an AR at that point.

I also think that for a plinker, utility gun, about any basic AK would do. The older SAR and the WASR seem to generally work. Some had canted sights or gas blocks. They can be fixed fairly easily if it bothers you or is hard to zero. Id hold out for a chrome bore. The Chinese guns seemed to work pretty well also. I like the wire type side folder to make the gun compact. They fit on almost ant fixed stock version. Very solid lockup, and poor cheek weld, but compact.

SKS is a fair choice. Im not partial to the ones without chrome bores and that have the grenade launchers. wish id bought a Russian one when the local ranch supply store retailed them for $125. I noticed they had them out on the floor in a wood case instead of the rack behind the counter and mentioned "oh, buying them by the case now?". The guy replied theyd sold over 600 of them. They make a pretty decent utility gun and are fun to shoot. Not sure how ell the different magazines work (and there may be legal questions about parts count with some) in them, the original 10 rd works pretty well, and reloading with stripper clips.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I have a soft spot for the Ruger Mini rifles. Probably too much Hannibal Smith as a kid. I've owned a few Mini-14s through the years and have always had the idea of a Mini-30 in the back of my mind. I think the concept was great, especially in the days before black rifles were as acceptable as they are today or still a valid concept today if you live in a ban state. Great concepts don't always translate to great execution, and that has always been what has prevented me from dropping the coin on one.

My research has probably yielded the same issues as yours has - primarily accuracy and reliability issues with after market magazines. I understand that early models were made with a bore that was 7.62/.308 instead of actual 7.62x39/.311 diameter, which only made accuracy issues associated with the thin barrel worse. Also the factory sights of the ranch rifle inspired Mini-30 always left me unimpressed.

My understanding is that the new 58X series rifles have solved much the the problems. The 58X series rifles sport a heavier tapered barrel, decent iron sights, and the correct bore. I have no experience with the Mini-30 58X series rifles but do have experience with two 58X series Mini-14s and they are better rifles by far than the earlier models for my needs. That said, they also come with a price upwards of $700 which puts them into AR and AK territory (especially if you entertain the idea of a used gun). Compared to the AR or a good AK they come up short in every category except the "Traditional Rifle Look" category. Ruger now makes factory 10 rnd 20 rnd magazines for it, so the issue of magazines may be solved.

As others have mentioned here, the SKS could be a solid option as well and come in for well under what a new Mini-30 would cost. Based on my experience with the Mini-14 I would only consider purchasing a 58X series rifle with the tapered barrel if you go that route and ONLY purchase Ruger magazines.

The key to happy Ruger Mini ownership is realistic expectations. If you think you are buying a military grade rifle that will outshoot an AR or AK you will most likely be disappointed. If you realize that you are purchasing essentially a sporting rifle that has some LE/Military features and capabilities while still retaining a less or non-threating rifle appearance, then you will be happier. It would be nowhere near my first choice if I had to face a post apocalyptic zombie infested world but as a plinker, low visual profile patrol rifle, or even home/ranch defense rifle it will do the job. The classic lines of the Ruger Mini series is IMHO the best feature of the rifle.

If you do go the Mini-30 route, please keep us posted on how it works for you.

One other option BTW is sell the case of ammo instead of buying a gun just to burn through it. Blasphemy I know, but just trying to think outside the box...
    Last edited by Suvorov; 11-15-2016 at 12:38 PM.

Like any other boy who grew up with the A-Team, mini's have a special place in my heart. Having said that, I have owned several, and none of them have ever shown me enough accuracy to be interesting, especially adding in proprietary magazines, etc.

I don't know nuthin' about nuthin' about AKs, except I don't like them pointed at/near me, so not much help from me on the "what AK" question. I have always been fascinated by the SKS, and, like many, kick myself routinely for not picking up a couple dozen when they were under $100 at any/every gun show I went to (kinda like M1 carbines, that I used to buy for about $75 a pop at gun shows in TX)...

Vending Machine Operator
    Some great input with a lot to think about.

Is the WASR a better choice than the C39V2? They're both Century. I liked the C39V2 because it was new-production and I don't really like beaten up/used stuff very much, and as I understand it all the WASR type guns are used to some extent (maybe I'm wrong). It was the AK Operator's Union who said it shook itself apart at 5,000 rounds.

The Arsenal SLG-107 is the one I have wanted for ages, but I was told even those aren't a sure bet.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If you're considering bolt guns, don't forget the Howa Mini action. Howas are very nicely made and have a good reputation for accuracy. Whittaker's is the place to buy them, generally. About 2/3 the price of a CZ 527.

Site Supporter
    Ruger makes/made the No. 1 in 7.62x39. The rifle will cost more, but the ammo will last much much longer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I've got my eye on the new DDI US made hammer forged AKs. DDI has built up a fairly solid reputation. New they are going about $899 (when they are available). If I were going AK, I would probably go that route not wanting to go with cheaper, lower quality nor moving up to the Arsenal options.

Buy a Vepr sporter for $700...

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com....html?Itemid=0

...or for a few hundred more, a Vepr AK.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com....html?Itemid=0

Or a WASR, or a SAM7, or bite the bullet and get a Galil ACE...

-- Michael

Vending Machine Operator
    Since this is the second thread I have posted fretting on this topic, I promise when I pick my 7.62 launcher I'll post it here.

Since my AR is a Daniel Defense I am considering just waiting another pay period, clenching my teeth, and ponying up for the Arsenal. So they can be snooty buddies together in the safe.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 11-15-2016 at 04:24 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List