Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Mini-Thirty in 7.62x39 - Consensus?

Vending Machine Operator

Ruger Mini-Thirty in 7.62x39 - Consensus?

I'm still trying to choose a rifle for the case of 7.62 I bought. I had canceled an AK order after finding out I ordered a crappy AK.

Further research into the AK market has soured me. I don't want to work so hard to find a decent rifle with the feature set I like, and my carbine choice will always be my Daniel Defense M4V1. So I kinda want something fun.

The CZ 527 is on the list as a scout rifle, but I really like the look of the Mini-Thirty. Does it run? Is it accurate? Google searches are inconclusive and I am curious.

Thank you!

Edit: Okay, some further research (forum search and Google search) is not promising. Indications are unreliable, proprietary, and inaccurate.

Crap. Back to the drawing board. I wish there was a reliable quality production AK without spending a lot. From my last AK thread it seems like you have to track down individual production runs that vary from year to year. Hassle.

Edit 2: I don't shoot steel-case ammo. Period. I won't feed my guns steel. So if that's a big sticking issue it's not one for me.

Edit 3: I just like the stupid thing. The Mini-30 and Mini-14 both. I know they don't make sense, but I haven't been able to shake the want for one for about 3 years.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 11-15-2016 at 02:35 AM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I'm a gun snob, like many here. Having said that, there is no such thing as a bad AK, unless it comes off a gang banger or a terrorist. It really isn't that hard to get a good one.

What is it you think a good AK will do that a bad AK won't do?

The flip side is there are no good mini-14's :-) Nothing really wrong with them, they are just light duty and not up to modern standards for ergos.

The CZ 527 is a great little gun, and I like mine in 223 very much. I just never use it.

Nothing wrong with steel case in an AK either. Mine has shot cases and cases of the stuff. If you asked them, they probably couldn't tell you what the case was made of.

Vending Machine Operator
    The AK-47 I had on order was a Century Arms C39V2, American manufacture. About a $750 AK. I thought it looked awesome. I was shown a few videos and articles that said, essentially, that Century is crap and the gun would shake itself apart to the point of unsafe headspacing after about 5000 rounds.

Nobody seemed to agree on what a basic "Glock" AK-47 would be. If I could find a single clear answer on that it would likely be my choice.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 11-15-2016 at 06:21 AM.

Site Supporter
    Have you considered an SKS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Have you considered an SKS?

Yes, and Dan's Ammo had some sweet Yugos for $350 last week. In my typical fashion I twiddled my thumbs too long and they sold out.

Any reason not to go with an SKS? They're pretty available on GunBroker.

AKs are tough to pin down because there are so many variables that people either care or don't care about. I have a pretty high end version by today's standards, but at the time I bought it, it was lower end. I also have what might be considered the lowest of the low by some, a Yugo. It works great, as long as you are not too picky about swapping aftermarket parts.

I've probably seen the videos you are talking about. I'm not sure which AK I'd buy today in your place, but I'd definitely look at the AK operators union videos. Or, I'd save up just a little more and get a Sam7.

Site Supporter
    If I were buying an East Bloc gun, an SKS would be my first choice. I understand that the receivers are a bit better designed and made than AK receivers. Chinese factory conversions that use AK magazines can be had. If one of these cannot be found, I understand that detachable 30 round magazines are available as replacements for the fixed factory box magazine.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

We had some Mini30s as patrol rifles for a while. It would be okay if you just wanted a plinker. Magazines were an issue and they sometimes wouldn't run well with foreign ammunition

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    The CZ 527 is a great gun. I have one in 762.

Regarding AKs, right now DDI seems to be the best value.

The by once, cry once solution is to save a little more and get an arsenal.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I purchased one in 1999 and have had it since. There have been a few occasions where I have thought about getting rid of it, but I never do.

Mine has been a reliable workhorse. It started out as a utility gun that we brought along in our pop up camper when camping on our land. I originally had a Mossberg 590 along for that, but the wife was a bit intimidated by the shotgun. Black bears are fairly common up there, plus yotes and (at that time and still) an increasing wolf population. Add to that a few experiences with trespassers (all benign) and I needed something. The wife warmed up to it, found it mechanically simple to operate, and could hit with it, so it has remained. The camper was replaced by a home, but the Mini still resides in the closet. It gets cleaned a few times a year, along with some rounds down the tube for familiarity by the whole clan. You wont win any PRS matches with it, but it is "minute of bear/tote/wolf/tresspasser" using the factory useless flip up peep sight. Dispite the internet babble, its been completely reliable with every magazine Ive ever used in it. That includes some crappy USA 20's and 10's from a well known yet cant-remember-because-Ive-only-had-one-cup-of-coffee-this-morning manufacturer. It sits in the closet with the 10rd, with the 20's on the shelf by the door.

I own an AK, but really not too much a fan. No particular reason. If anything Id choose a nice SKS if you want a combloc piece in lieu of the Mini. Ive never shot an SKS (and Ive shot a bunch) that has not been not only reliable, but preety decent in the accuracy department. Ive shot AKs that seemingly failed QC for mud hut manufactiring in the Hindu Kush.

I guess in the end, you need to decide the purpose. If that is just to have a gun and appropriate case of ammo as an extreme utility tool, Id just do the SKS. If you think you want a step above that, or want 'Merican...go with the Ruger.

My .02 for which you wont be getting an invoice so......

User Tag List