Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38464748

Thread: New IDPA Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    So here's my question - pardon my art work.

You have two targets. In the old days, you would fire from the corner at the two targets with the red lines. Supposedly this is behind cover. But with the new rules, could you move to the blue lines firing position and be legal as long as behind the gray fault line?

While we are tuning COFs, it seemed in some stages that this was a reasonable thing from a competition/game POV.

So thoughts? Do I have this correct?

Attachment 13407
    you got it. the MD can place that fault line wherever he/she sees fit. you can create an obtuse angle, or an acute angle. so if you had another target around the corner (delete the vertical black line) on the other side of the barrier from the shooter, the close in position (red lines) could reach around the corner and get the target, but the blue line shooter would be at a disadvantage. should make for some interesting stage design options.

Site Supporter
    Interesting problem, without taking time to draw it - angling the fault line seems to make some shots anatomically very hard for a dominant hand not on the side of the fault line. The shot I was talking about earlier was hard for a left hander. A fellow competitor suggested that I switch hands (jesting). I don't know if I would want that in competitions with various skill levels. The Match Director and I were discussing the handiness problem.

It's a game - so what. But what is a game without controversy about the rules? Since my crappy old Academy vest has no logos and patches on it and I ain't going to win at my speed - I'll just have fun.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 01-24-2017 at 09:50 AM.

If it's a lean so hard I can't hit a target with both hands I'll just one hand it, but that's pretty rare in my experience. I've already seen two fault lines for two arrays around a corner for safety reasons (shoot two targets from inner fault line, shift to shoot two from outer). No idea if that's legal or not but considering I don't shoot IDPA majors anymore I'm not too worried about it.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    So here's my question - pardon my art work.

You have two targets. In the old days, you would fire from the corner at the two targets with the red lines. Supposedly this is behind cover. But with the new rules, could you move to the blue lines firing position and be legal as long as behind the gray fault line?

While we are tuning COFs, it seemed in some stages that this was a reasonable thing from a competition/game POV.

So thoughts? Do I have this correct?

Attachment 13407
    Under the new rules as long you don't step over the line you are good to go. Thats not where the fault line would be though. A good stage person will put the line so that a reasonable person will be able to lean over to hit all targets without difficulty. A bad stage person will put the fault line such that its unreasonably difficult.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 01-24-2017 at 10:25 AM.

Depends on what you consider unreasonably difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Depends on what you consider unreasonably difficult.
    Having to shoot it one handed when others (right handed) can shoot freestyle. Leaning to where older or less able shooters (IDPA's bread and butter) have difficulty, etc.

While my USPSA attendance is only at a local indoor club match (where you you youngin run and gunners can't outlap us old amble and shooters heh heh) I've not experienced fault lines that were intentionally difficult like that (although sometimes you could take advantage with a further lean, all targets were available elsewhere). I think its just a matter of stage designers getting used to doing this (at least ones that haven't done USPSA type matches previously).
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 01-24-2017 at 10:33 AM.

I have, at both USPSA and IDPA matches (where one handed was preferable to a tight lean). I like that sort of thing since it challenges people, YMMV though. I can shoot trap when I can barely stand

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I have, at both USPSA and IDPA matches (where one handed was preferable to a tight lean). I like that sort of thing since it challenges people, YMMV though. I can shoot trap when I can barely stand
    USPSA is not IDPA however, nor should it be. I've never been to a IDPA match where one handed shooting was needed around barricades.
    and yes I am the "I'm too old for this SH&T" shooter stereotype from 7 types of shooters on youtube
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 01-24-2017 at 11:18 AM.

My opinions, FWIW:

Agreed - this would be a legal stage design that is less consistent with the goal of requiring competitors to use cover.

Placement of the fault line relative to the targets is up to the stage designer.

Guidelines for stage design is up to the match director.

More or less diligent use of cover in spite of generous fault line placement is up to the competitor.

Under the old rules, staying well back from cover for speed and to confuse cover calls, as well as positioning to minimize footwork adjustments has been Standard Operating Procedure for more skilled IDPA competitors forever.

Less skilled competitors hugged cover, adjusted their foot placement for every target, may or may not have used cover effectively ... and still finished in the bottom half of the pack.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 01-24-2017 at 11:30 AM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

User Tag List