Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3745464748 LastLast

Thread: New IDPA Rules

Site Supporter
    I grant you cover is a pain and subjective. I'm out now but I'll draw a picture later and show you what I was talking about.

Interesting that you can't quantify tactics - that would be difficult but if the rationale is supposedly 'tactical' as compared to being pissed off at SOs, that's a different emphasis from the 'mission'.

I recall having some displeasure about the on the move behind cover reload contremps. I was told that asking gun fight experts was the rationale for not moving. Oh dear - that went bye bye and that was great. Round dumping - an SO once gave me major crap for such. Yesterday, I teased said SO as that changed and he actually told someone to dump for a better reload - haha. He took it well.

Later.

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    I like the fault lines. Being a taller person with shoulders I found that the only way I could stay clear of cover calls was to wear a tight fitting cover garment as anything that draped off my shoulders apparently looked like a major portion of my body was exposed and I picked up cover calls. This is much less subjective.
    Why the hell was the SO looking at your shoulders and not at your lower half of you body. That's just dumb.

The entire concept of subjective cover rules in a time based competition was and remains inherently flawed. IDPA finally got it's collective head out of its nether regions and recognized this fact.

Fault lines work. USPSA and IPSC have proven this beyond a shadow of a doubt. Stage designers use hard cover and fault lines to force shooters to assume whatever positions the stage designer desires in order to engage targets. If making competitors use 'cover' is an goal then I have zero doubt that a competent and creative stage designer can achieve this goal using hard cover and fault lines. More specifically, the goal can be achieved in manner that is objectively fair for all competitors.

When people start talking 'mission', 'intent' and 'tactical correctness' in the context of a competition they are deliberately ignoring that competitors are going to game every aspect of the rule system to WIN.

Competitors are free to add any amount of 'tactically correct' behavior that follows the founders intent and the original mission of IDPA. These folks will never be competitive with those who minimally conform to (game) the rules.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Why the hell was the SO looking at your shoulders and not at your lower half of you body. That's just dumb.
    Seriously?

Hoping you're joking and just forgot a smiley.

SO should be watching the gun, scorekeeper should be watching feet for violations. No one should be looking at the guy's shoulders.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Bah, I wrote SO instead scorekeeper by mistake.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Edwin; 01-23-2017 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Shot my first match under new rules last weekend too. I also hate the fault lines.
    Are they different then USPSA fault lines?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Shoot on my field, Glenn, and I will consider your bum knee to be a "nonfunctional limb" and just charge you 3 seconds for standing while I kneel.
    We're ignoring that as well in ours. If the rules makers intended this to be a penalty, then - to attempt to be polite for this forum - their understanding of their market is deeply in question.

Site Supporter
    So here's my question - pardon my art work.

You have two targets. In the old days, you would fire from the corner at the two targets with the red lines. Supposedly this is behind cover. But with the new rules, could you move to the blue lines firing position and be legal as long as behind the gray fault line?

While we are tuning COFs, it seemed in some stages that this was a reasonable thing from a competition/game POV.

So thoughts? Do I have this correct?

Name:  idpa question.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  18.6 KB

Yep. To make a harder lean you can angle the fault line towards the shooter though.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List