Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New IDPA Rules

Wilson makes Commanders and 9mm carbines now. Makes total sense.

No more mandatory reloads!?

Edit: in my mind I was thinking now you don't have to run dry, can somebody clarify?
    Last edited by Luke; 11-15-2016 at 06:52 AM.
    i used to wannabe

Retention reloads, or whatever they call them, are gone? They're going to use fault lines to determine if you are behind cover? That would fix two of my biggest complaints if true.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Retention reloads, or whatever they call them, are gone? They're going to use fault lines to determine if you are behind cover? That would fix two of my biggest complaints if true.
    Looks like you can still do them if you want.

I am not sure how the faultlines work in relation to cover calls. aka-can the So still call cover on your top half?
    While I like fault lines is USPSA I am of mixed view of them in IDPA as it helps make you think about staying behind cover.

1 second per point down. Thats fine.

I like these:

3.6 Cover and Reloads

3.6.1 When the shooter runs the firearm empty in the open, the shooter may reload in the open and continue engaging

targets as needed or move to the next shooting position.

3.6.2 In stages with cover or concealment, shooters may reload standing still or on the move anytime as long as they

are not exposed to unengaged targets during the reload.

3.6.3 Dropping a loaded magazine or speed loader/moon clip does not incur a penalty as long as the shooter retrieves

and properly stows the loaded magazine or speed loader/moon clip prior to the firing of the last shot in the string

of fire.

3.6.4 Malfunction Clearing: When clearing a malfunction, the magazine or speed loader/moon clip and/or ammunition

that may have caused the malfunction does not need to be retained by the shooter and will incur no penalty if

dropped.

The problem isn't shooting around cover/barricades, its that without fault lines people are judged and penalized on completely arbitrary calls by what an RO judges is the "cover line". That's fine in figure skating, but has absolutely no place in a competition where hard numbers and hundredths of seconds determine a winner. That's why people complain about it.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I took a quick look at the rules, and what would be helpful would be a redline version, making the changes easy to see.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I haven't shot any matches of any of the recognized organizations in several years. I did read over the new rule book last night, and I actually like some of the changes and may rejoin IDPA simply to reclassify under the new classifier and shoot some local matches. We no longer have any sanctioned matches in these parts.

My likes:

I really like the 1 second per point down change.

I like that the retention reload is gone from the classifier. Twice I was on course to make SSP master (old times) going into that string...

The hubbub about reloads and cover seems to have been addressed.

Dislikes:

I'm still grumpy over duty gear being excluded from sanctioned matches, but as there are no sanctioned matches in these parts, it's moot.

Still too many divisions- if the classifier is valid, what difference does having a hammer/SA trigfer or a striker make?
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    The problem isn't shooting around cover/barricades, its that without fault lines people are judged and penalized on completely arbitrary calls by what an RO judges is the "cover line". That's fine in figure skating, but has absolutely no place in a competition where hard numbers and hundredths of seconds determine a winner. That's why people complain about it.
    Not disagreeing. At the same time it takes out the the thinking of it you are in cover as well. I'm surprised at the change though as that makes it significantly closer to USPSA. I thought they wanted to stay away from the "USPSA with shoot me first vests" comparison.

One way around it is to have the same pain in the butt SO remaining stationed at the stage so everyone is treated to their judging equally.
    I'm still grumpy over duty gear being excluded from sanctioned matches, but as there are no sanctioned matches in these parts, it's moot.
    If its helpful, police may compete in their duty gear. However, whenever I see them in their duty gear I think: 1) how do you move in all that gear? 2) how do sit down?
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 11-15-2016 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post

If its helpful, police may compete in their duty gear. However, whenever I see them in their duty gear I think: 1) how do you move in all that gear? 2) how do sit down?
    Duty gear is allowed at club level matches, but it is not allowed in a sanctioned match.

Usually on the forums the discussion of duty gear at matches devolves into a "some guy showed up gaming it with X holster claiming it was duty gear".

I get that administratively it is easier to simply require concealment across the board.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I think retention reloads and tac-loading are still very much in the game because dropping a partially loaded mag is still a penalty. (But, correct, they aren't part of the classifier)
    Last edited by Sal Picante; 11-15-2016 at 12:03 PM.

User Tag List