Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 LastLast

Thread: New IDPA Rules

Fault lines remove subjective judgement. It's impossible to have competition with subjective judgement.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Fault lines remove subjective judgement. It's impossible to have competition with subjective judgement.
    I imagine most figure skaters, platform divers, etc, would disagree. That said, I agree with you, as long as you're willing to add the word "fair" between "have" and "competition."

Shoot on my field, Glenn, and I will consider your bum knee to be a "nonfunctional limb" and just charge you 3 seconds for standing while I kneel.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I imagine most figure skaters, platform divers, etc, would disagree. That said, I agree with you, as long as you're willing to add the word "fair" between "have" and "competition."
    We still don't have a sarcasm icon.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    -- Replying to an earlier post #450 than the ones immediately before this.

NO - it demonstrates that the fault line system needs empirical evidence from many matches to see if it accomplishes anything. As in all things, a new procedure, equipment or rules may have implementation problems. The match director who is no slouch and I had a long talk about how such tuning needs to take place. Since IDPA changes rules systems seemingly at whim, without empirical evidence that it relates to anything in their supposed real world mission - it is quite possible that something that seems reasonable in the Hall of Justice lunch discussion will flop in reality. Look at the reload wars - based on some anecdote and then modified.

The one point rule for a miss hasn't upset many. We discussed how it might slow down folks and looking at past matches would changed some of the very past spray and pray shooters (happy with 1s and 3s) from higher positions to lower ones. Is that a good thing? In the 'real world' are millisecond time differences to accomplish crappy shots quicker - with a possible ineffective hit - or sending a round in the open spaces better than a slightly slower but better aimed solution.

Given some officers have made fantastic shots with handguns and others have stunk - is it not to be considered?

I note that our stage designers are quite expert - but as in all designs the testing is important. If one reads how expert interface and machine designers produce some real disasters, it's obvious that table discussions and a prototype in the lab may not survive the rigor of many in the field.

Take the tale of the Remington handgun - were they stupid? Or the Glock 42 - were they stupid? But their systems failed. We will see how the fault line works in actuality for their supposed purpose.

Now did I say the entire rule system failed? Maybe you read someone else's post? I love it how some people don't get the point.

Anyway today's match is cancelled as it is too windy to shoot and the props and barricades will fly away or squash you.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 01-22-2017 at 12:03 PM.

Last year the Carolina Cup match was done as an unaffiliated "outlaw" IDPA match with IDPA scoring, IDPA rules (no dropping loaded mags) IDPA "style" gun divisions (division names like Enhanced Pistol, Custom Pistol, Compact Pistol, etc) with the addition of FAULT LINES. I do not remember anyone complaining about them and in fact everyone I heard talk about it said that the fault lines made it easier by eliminating the "worry" about how close the SOs were calling cover - especially for shooting around non dominant side cover.

I for one like the fault lines if for no other reason than it eliminates any "discussion" about cover calls. You either were in or out and it is objective not subjective opinion and you can easily tell what they expect as use of cover on a particular stage. This ...shall we say...varies from match to match as I have shot some matches where cover was barely enforced and matches where half the people in a squad got cover calls and those of us watching couldn't tell why they got the calls...the fault lines eliminate that.

Site Supporter
    Am I correct that the fault lines allow shooting from positions where there is no physical barrier between you and the target?

If that question was directed to me I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that question.

If you are asking about "shooting boxes " where you shoot standing in a box drawn on the ground and then move to another then no, that is not what they had. They simply had lines on the ground that extended out from each piece of cover that as long as your feet were behind them then you were "in cover". If your foot is out...you are out. Imagine the back of a car used as cover (shooting from back to front). There would be a line on either side, roughly even with the edges of the vehicle and if you were inside the lines you were good. Outside the lines..... no good.
    Last edited by Randy Harris; 01-23-2017 at 10:18 AM.

So far the new rules make the game much less retarded in my experience.

Every time I shot an IDPA major hearing "cover!" was like nails on a chalkboard, I wanted to turn around and tell the spot-happy ROs to shut up so I could shoot. IDPA has been plagued by moronic subjectivity, less is better in a data driven sport. It was to the point where for shits and giggles a buddy would go to the exact same cover position as another at a major, and he was the only one that called for cover (he was also much faster).

If all this means I don't have to be 50% behind cover (because that's totally possible to prove) before I engage a target who gives a shit. You can't score "street tactics" with hard data, either have a timer and fair competition rules or have a panel of judges to rate you from 1-10 on your tactical-ness. The changes were a lean in the right direction for once.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I like the fault lines. Being a taller person with shoulders I found that the only way I could stay clear of cover calls was to wear a tight fitting cover garment as anything that draped off my shoulders apparently looked like a major portion of my body was exposed and I picked up cover calls. This is much less subjective.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

User Tag List