Page 20 of 48 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: New IDPA Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Strawman
    I didn't attack anyone or anything...I made an argument. Let's talk about issues, not each other.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    I didn't attack anyone or anything...I made an argument. Let's talk about issues, not each other.
    Cody
    Read the post in a browser, it was rather clear what occurred.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    generally the suckier shooters will be found at idpa matches
    Since when do you have to be a member to shoot idpgay
    Gamer. IDPA has no space for you..

Welcome to uspsa. We don't hide from our cardboard.
    I liked you better when you were Wannabe and not Doodie, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    First, "proper" use of cover is context dependent. Paul Howe has a very different take on the use of cover that would not meet IDPA requirements. Is Paul Howe an idiot giving advice that will "get ya kilt on the streetz?" No, Paul Howe teaches a more "offensive" use of cover and is more concerned with hitting the bad guy than getting every inch of you behind cover that he can.
    I completely agree about context. I subscribe to the John Holschen school of cover where use of cover is maximized. As an armed citizen, I am interested in not getting shot, so I am going to get out or get to cover and use every inch of it. The exception is if I have a family member or other vulnerable person I want to save, and where I may need to take more risk. IDPA use of cover skills are just very basic, and nothing more. I try to design stages to make shooters use tighter cover through good stage design. But even then it's still very basic.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I liked you better when you were Wannabe and not Doodie, Jr.
    I did too. Idk why but this subject brings out the worst in me. I promise I'll do better.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    One of the things that turned me off on IDPA was people whose only notion of tactics comes from IDPA thinking they can speak with authority on tactics. Of course, you can also find that guy on the Timmy side who thinks his 2-day course somewhere qualifies him to debate tactics with someone who actually "goes through doors".
    I recognize that gap and that is why I am always recommending to the shooters in my two clubs and in my VA/MD/DC area to take classes in pepper spray, CQB, Krav Maga, BJJ, etc. And, I recommend reading Rory Miller's Book on Facing Violence, and learning disarms and other techniques. I can't stop people from being pretentious and charlatan, but I can help them get to the right places to learn real self-defense. What I have learned after two years of Krav is that defending an attack takes a lot more than pulling a gun. Being good at shooting is important, but knowing how to disarm a weapon and knowing how to get out of a bar-arm is what allows me to either end the attack or get to my firearm or spray.
    Cody

To be fair to Luke it's really hard not to hate on it with Joyce in the thread defending every part of it to the death.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    I have seen some people, IDPA Masters, who don't shoot USPSA at all. I see others that go on to USPSA and do both.
    But there is no doubt about people improving while shooting IDPA in every aspect of gun handling. A lot of people....shocker....are not interested in buying a $2000 STI because that's what most guys have, and becoming a USPSA A Class or a GM. MOST PEOPLE who shoot IDPA want to get to a level where they are confident in their own pistol shooting in a variety of situations and don't really suck...to use your negative term. They can do that in IDPA...and they don't need to go beyond that. I will still put any experienced IDPA shooter up against a common criminal shooter any day. That is not to say there aren't people who don't continue to improve...there are. That happens for a variety of reasons, but the most common one is they simply don't have time to commit the number of hours needed to dry fire practice, nor the discipline to work on their speed and their grip and their aim. Other reasons are old age, injuries, and just not motivated enough.
    If you want to work on becoming a GM or A class, more power to you...seriously, I hope you make it. But it is a mistake to think that everyone else needs to be there in order to defend themselves.
    Cody
    Huh? As someone who has only ever shot USPSA matches with a 19 or 34 I'm confused by the idea that everyone hAs $2000 STIs...

Production is by far the most competitive class around me. I shoot limited with a Glock 19 because 10rd mags are lame.

I guess bad training is better than no training.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Huh? As someone who has only ever shot USPSA matches with a 19 or 34 I'm confused by the idea that everyone hAs $2000 STIs...

Production is by far the most competitive class around me. I shoot limited with a Glock 19 because 10rd mags are lame.
    Maybe it's an East Coast thing. I shoot at Fburg, Quantico, and Thurmont USPSA. And the Maryland State Match.
    MD State: 39 prod, 48 Lim, 26 open, 6 PCC, 17 SS.
    Nov Fburg: 25 prod, 88 total.
    Quantico about the same.
    And a good percentage of the production group are sponsored.
    Cody

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

User Tag List