Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: New IDPA Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    I'd agree with you if we were talking about the DMG rules - IDPA with a rifle or shotgun is fun and makes you do stuff you might not normally have to even consider in an IPSC match (like how to use cover). But cramming this PCC stuff into the pistol rules seems like a very poor way to go about things.
    Why is it okay for USPSA to cram it into their pistol sport and not IDPA?
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    3Gun rules offer no use of cover or priority. IDPA is the only place, other than tactical training, where you can practice those. I think it's a good fit, and popular. I am more concerned about how we run PCC matches, such as SHO and WHO and safety protocols, etc. And, I don't think this has anything to do with Wilson Combat selling PCC's...that was an industry trend across many manufacturers. The one worry I have is that certain States may not allow the PCC Division to operate legally.
    Cody
    Except use of snow fences in IDPA as any sort of "training" is a a god damned joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Except use of snow fences in IDPA as any sort of "training" is a a god damned joke.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Orion.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Not sure who that was for. I just shot Maryland State USPSA Match...and greatly enjoyed it. I am a C-class shooter. I shoot about 6 USPSA club matches a year at Fredericksburg, VA and Thurmont, MD.
    Cody
    Class C shooter. Local matches.

I lament the removal of sequence priority and the addition of more restrictive rules for match directors, such as restricting moving non-threats and blind stages. But we still have tactical priority and use of cover and usually more fun props and stages. It's the only sport where I have shot at night through a fire coming out of the engine compartment or through water raining down through a window or with strobes flashing at me at night, or in a shoothouse, or with a heavy bag on top of me, or wrapped around a bicycle on the ground, or....
    I like the addition of PCC, although now I have another set of equipment rules to administer...and the pistol rules didn't get easier.
    I do wish the gamers would not push IDPA in this direction, but I may be in the minority.
    Cody
    I hear you. I am not keen on IDPA becoming more like USPSA. There is room for both, and frankly most of the old farts like myself aren't going to put on track shoes to play a shooting game. We like to amble, wear our shoot me first vests, and not spill our coffee while going tac sequencing those nefarious paper bad guys.
    Never shot a night shoot with USPSA, but we frequently do with IDPA. Frankly, I don't get the hate the USPSA players have for IDPA. If you don't like it, fine, who cares? If I'm boat fishing I don't complain and make fun of fly fishers.

As for PCC, not a real biggie. In Austin we run pistol range carbine/pistol matches using IDPA rules here, and they work just fine.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 11-23-2016 at 07:26 AM.

Why is it okay for USPSA to cram it into their pistol sport and not IDPA?
    Cody
    I don't know anything about USPSA. But I do know that IPSC pistol rules are about pistols. If you want to look at rifle rules, you need to look at the rifle rulebook. Seems a lot more logical than trying to cram one niche long gun into the pistol rules.

You've already touched on some of the problems. Scenarios, starting positions, one handed shooting... Thinking back on stages I really liked, it seems to me like a lot of them would not be at all possible with a carbine. Do we stop making interesting pistol stages so that they are all carbine compatible?

Equipment is also an issue. I don't know anyone with a pistol caliber carbine with over 10" barrel. I know several guys with carbine conversions for their pistols, but that barrel length rule kills those. Everyone with an IDPA ID that I know of has an AK or an AR. If you want to shoot IDPA with long guns - and I am definitely for that, I loooooove IDPA DMG! - why not renew the DMG rule book? That would be a lot more logical, and in my area at least a lot more popular way to go.

In summary, IDPA with long guns is an excellent idea, but "let's cram one type of long gun into the pistol rules" is a lousy execution of that idea.
    Last edited by That Guy; 11-23-2016 at 07:28 AM. Reason: left out the quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    I don't know anything about USPSA. But I do know that IPSC pistol rules are about pistols. If you want to look at rifle rules, you need to look at the rifle rulebook. Seems a lot more logical than trying to cram one niche long gun into the pistol rules.

You've already touched on some of the problems. Scenarios, starting positions, one handed shooting... Thinking back on stages I really liked, it seems to me like a lot of them would not be at all possible with a carbine. Do we stop making interesting pistol stages so that they are all carbine compatible?

Equipment is also an issue. I don't know anyone with a pistol caliber carbine with over 10" barrel. I know several guys with carbine conversions for their pistols, but that barrel length rule kills those. Everyone with an IDPA ID that I know of has an AK or an AR. If you want to shoot IDPA with long guns - and I am definitely for that, I loooooove IDPA DMG! - why not renew the DMG rule book? That would be a lot more logical, and in my area at least a lot more popular way to go.

In summary, IDPA with long guns is an excellent idea, but "let's cram one type of long gun into the pistol rules" is a lousy execution of that idea.
    The DMG rules are being revised.

USPSA added PCC to thir sport July 2016. They have a set of provisional rules.

I don't think it will change stages much. I already include at least one 20 yard stage in every match.
    Cody

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    I think you are greatly exaggerating any perceived benefits of IDPA over USPSA. I am no expert on the matter though. Randy however does know a bit about it. IIRC he had a pretty decent placing at last years World Championships in the Masters SSP class.
    Thanks Mike, I guess I did OK for a "Timmy"....

The DMG rules are being revised.
    Yeah, so they've said to me too. At this point, I'll believe it when I see the new DMG rule book...

I don't think it will change stages much.
    Really? I can think of a bunch of stages that I've shot in matches that would be difficult to downright impossible with a carbine. There are of course the classic carry the baby, evacuate your wounded buddy, carry a briefcase stages... One I particularly liked had a spring-loaded target stand with two targets, with a cable connected to a briefcase. You had to pull the briefcase to you against spring tension to lift the targets visible, draw and shoot one-handed. Really neat and quick little stage!
    Last edited by That Guy; 11-23-2016 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Writing complete sentences would be gooder.

Site Supporter
    This last weekend, we had a stage where you had to carry an attache case and had to negotiate the stage with it. The 'case' was heavy and most folks shot it one handed. It would have not been possible with a carbine.

User Tag List