Page 15 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: New IDPA Rules

have you ever shot uspsa?
    i used to wannabe

Site Supporter
    I shot USPSA for a long time as I had time on weekends (since 1986!) and enjoyed it immensely (other than the waiting between stages to shoot). My local range now is IDPA oriented so I started IDPA - my friends are there and its close. I shoot for practice and fun only. Frankly - I struggle at times shooting good IDPA scores because I am out of balance on speed vs accuracy - I shoot too fast and my score suffers accordingly.

That's the way I started out, quick and inaccurate. Pretty easy to practice that out. Speeding things up is harder IMO.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    have you ever shot uspsa?
    Not sure who that was for. I just shot Maryland State USPSA Match...and greatly enjoyed it. I am a C-class shooter. I shoot about 6 USPSA club matches a year at Fredericksburg, VA and Thurmont, MD.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    There are other factors beyond shooting skill alone. The types of stages are different, such as tactical priority, cover, required movement, typically more non-threats. The brain/nervous responses will be different. In IDPA you have to be more careful about the stage rules. In USPSA you don't think about those...or shouldn't. I can't tell you how many times I have seen a great USPSA shooter shoot IDPA and totally blow the stage, and even forget targets. If you want to measure raw pistol handling skills, then USPSA is your game. If you want to measure use of cover, tactical priority, and moving while shooting, then IDPA tests those skills more.
    Cody
    I think you are greatly exaggerating any perceived benefits of IDPA over USPSA. I am no expert on the matter though. Randy however does know a bit about it. IIRC he had a pretty decent placing at last years World Championships in the Masters SSP class.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    I think you are greatly exaggerating any perceived benefits of IDPA over USPSA. I am no expert on the matter though. Randy however does know a bit about it. IIRC he had a pretty decent placing at last years World Championships in the Masters SSP class.
    Let me be clear: When it comes to pure shooting skill, USPSA has the advantage. When it comes to use of cover and tactical priority and awkward shooting positions, IDPA has value to offer. That is one reason I see GM's come and shoot it.
    But the real value of IDPA is for your average person who has their concealed permit and owns a mostly production pistol and wants to get better while practicing use of cover and priority while on the clock in a competitive environment. There is a great Match Director who says this: "The more people who shoot IDPA regularly, the fewer people on the streets with bad gun handling skills." THAT is why I am a Match Director and an Area Coordinator. I believe there is value in both, and I shoot both.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

I lament the removal of sequence priority and the addition of more restrictive rules for match directors, such as restricting moving non-threats and blind stages. But we still have tactical priority and use of cover and usually more fun props and stages. It's the only sport where I have shot at night through a fire coming out of the engine compartment or through water raining down through a window or with strobes flashing at me at night, or in a shoothouse, or with a heavy bag on top of me, or wrapped around a bicycle on the ground, or....
    I like the addition of PCC, although now I have another set of equipment rules to administer...and the pistol rules didn't get easier.
    I do wish the gamers would not push IDPA in this direction, but I may be in the minority.
    Cody

Site Supporter
    The removal of sequence priority makes no sense to me. What empirical data suggests anything about it as a real world problem or training problem, such that it can't be an option?

The PPC - stupid in regular matches. We run carbine matches where some run their pistol. We don't need a mix in regular IDPA matches unless it is truly becoming just a game (OH, what did I say!).

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    The PPC - stupid in regular matches. We run carbine matches where some run their pistol. We don't need a mix in regular IDPA matches unless it is truly becoming just a game (OH, what did I say!).
    3Gun rules offer no use of cover or priority. IDPA is the only place, other than tactical training, where you can practice those. I think it's a good fit, and popular. I am more concerned about how we run PCC matches, such as SHO and WHO and safety protocols, etc. And, I don't think this has anything to do with Wilson Combat selling PCC's...that was an industry trend across many manufacturers. The one worry I have is that certain States may not allow the PCC Division to operate legally.
    Cody

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    3Gun rules offer no use of cover or priority. IDPA is the only place, other than tactical training, where you can practice those.
    I'd agree with you if we were talking about the DMG rules - IDPA with a rifle or shotgun is fun and makes you do stuff you might not normally have to even consider in an IPSC match (like how to use cover). But cramming this PCC stuff into the pistol rules seems like a very poor way to go about things.

User Tag List