Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Service sized revolver

Vending Machine Operator
    i have thoroughly enjoyed the GP100 4" I traded with CSW for. I use 125-grain Speer Gold Dot in .357 Magnum and 135-grain Speer Gold Dot in.38 Special +P. Both are pleasant through the GP100. I've also tried Sellior and Bellot lead round nose .357 Magnum and Winchester Ranger 130-grain .38 Special +P. All were great.

My favorite part about owning the GP100 so far was when I took my 5'2", 125 pound girlfriend to shoot it. I assumed she'd do better with the .38 Specials. She ended up not only preferring the .357 loads, but shooting them significantly better. I can't explain it. I definitely did better with the .38s, so I guess we know who wears the pants.

The .357 loads feel stout but well controlled. The 38s recoil very light in that beefy frame.

It's very hard to go wrong with choosing a load for the GP. You can't hurt it.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 11-17-2016 at 01:50 AM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Snooping about whiffing the air on another revolver purchase. Although the elegance of the Smith K frame is really appealing, I keep passing the GP100s and slowing down for a look. I have absolutely fallen in love with my SP101 snub and its become my constant companion. My woods gun is a M28, but a nice blue GP would be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Snooping about whiffing the air on another revolver purchase. Although the elegance of the Smith K frame is really appealing, I keep passing the GP100s and slowing down for a look. I have absolutely fallen in love with my SP101 snub and its become my constant companion. My woods gun is a M28, but a nice blue GP would be sweet.
    You might want to take a hard look at the GP100 Match Champions-it's somewhat like Ruger, without admitting it, taking a step back towards the Security/Service Six line, but with the essential goodness of the GP100.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I didn't think the .357 magnum was that subtle a caliber.

You'll have to excuse me, I'm in a silly mood.
    LOL...make that HUNTING cartridge...

Best, Jon

The GP100 is one tough, rugged service revolver. Hold high on the grip, and I mean really high, and the stoutest loads are reasonable in recoil recovery. The 125-grain full-pressure Magnum is devastating to a human target, an effect I witnessed first-hand, being the one who delivered it. Here in Texas, we did not need articles and books by Evan Marshall, Mas Ayoob, et al, to know this, as Texas is one of the places where the .357 earned its reputation. (I am not being critical of these two gentlemen. They were right about the .357 Magnum, and I do not want this thread to be hijacked by discussing other cartridges.)

On 12 September, 2001, when I was assigned to "directed patrol" outside the Israeli consulate building, I had a 1911 duty pistol, an 870P shotgun, and my 4" full-lug GP100, all personally-owned. Who needs a rifle, anyway*? (This was the day after September Eleventh 2001.) The primary perceived threat was a truck bomb. My best long-range weapon that day, and the one best able to shoot through truck body metal, was the GP100. I had hard-cast Magnums with me, though I do not remember whether I had hard-cast in the cylinder, or 125-grain JHC Federal Hi-Shok. (Not Hydra-Shok.)

As for concealabilty, well, it could be because two places on each side of my anatomy seem molded to a medium/large-frame sixgun, but I find a GP100 amazingly easy to conceal, either just behind the hip, or at AIWB. Yes, AIWB. Of course, a somewhat loose cover garment helps; this is not done with tight T-shirts.

My favorite factory grip is the original, pre-Hogue, square-butt factory grip. It is almost as if I was separated from a twin at birth, and he found a job designing grips and stocks for Ruger. I feel the same way about the SP101 grip, and the stocks on some Ruger rifles. Others' experiences may vary, of course.

When I retire from policin', some time in the next few months to few years, and spend more time in rural areas, I may well revert to regularly carrying a GP100. I now have four, two with 4" full-lug barrels and adjustable sights, one 4" non-lug with fixed sights, and one 6" non-lug with adjustable sights. (Some use the term "half-lug," to refer to what I call a plain ol' ejector rod shroud.)

*I/We did not have the benefit of a patrol rifle program at that time. Yes, I did consider bringing an unauthorized rifle, perhaps my lefty Winchester Model 70, .375 H&H, loaded with Sledgehammer Solids.
    Last edited by Rex G; 11-18-2016 at 09:01 PM.

I'm looking forward to picking up the 5" GP 100 next week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    You guys arent helping the piggy bank here. None. Not at all.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    it's somewhat like Ruger, without admitting it, taking a step back towards the Security/Service Six line,
    How so?

I might be putting the cart ahead of the horse but if you were going to try and conceal carry a 4 inch GP 100 what holsters would you be looking at? I'm pretty sure my friend at church has a range/competition holster he used with it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastex View Post
    I might be putting the cart ahead of the horse but if you were going to try and conceal carry a 4 inch GP 100 what holsters would you be looking at? I'm pretty sure my friend at church has a range/competition holster he used with it.

I would look at Kydex IWB with a 15 degree grip angle. Kydex would be necessary for the thinness. The 15 degree angle, while more than I like for most semiautos I carry (I prefer 5-10 degrees) would be necessary to keep the grip from printing. I would look for something that keeps the holster as low as possible with respect to the belt while still allowing for a full firing grip.

I might also give serious thought to a vertical shoulder holster. I would look for a figure 8 harness. Ideally I would want the attachment of the straps to the holster to attach the strap going around the front of my shoulder to attach to the outside of the holster, and the strap going across my back to attach closer to my body, to pull the grip towards my torso.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List