Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Service sized revolver

Thanks. I just bought one of our old Security Six revolvers and all this revolver talk has me seriously thinking of getting a second GP100.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I have picked up three service size 4" .38 sixguns in the last three years. A standard barreled M10-5, a heavy barreled M64-1, and a blued half lug GP-100. My CCW load for these is my last stash of Winchester 158 +P LHP duty loads from our revolver days. Not as glamorous as some of the newer offerings, but still useful, in my opinion. The only drawback is that the soft lead bullet noses sometimes get mashed shut when carried in pockets for reloads.
    I usually carry Austrian plastic for CCW, but there are occasions and clothing that scream for a nice round revolver versus a square blocky semi-auto.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 11-15-2016 at 09:10 AM.

With Letts, or that new Hogue 80010 the GP100 is a pussycat with magnum loads. First range outing with the WC GP100 was 200 rounds of Federal 357B (the hot 125gr load that chewed up K frames) in about 45 minutes. My buddy and I laughed about how it was fun to shoot instead of punishing. Thirty-eight's and 38+P's were like wadcutters in terms of recoil.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    My .38 GP has Letts on it. One of my future reloading projects is to develop a 38-44 equivalent handload using 158 grain cast SWC bullets for the Ruger only. The Letts should handle that with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    that new Hogue 80010...
    Was not aware of such a creature. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SMD View Post
    Was not aware of such a creature. Thanks!
    On an Alaskan but they both use the same grip size.
    http://instagram.com/p/BD3wU4Ao2Fc/
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    While the Silvertip has been surpassed as a top defensive round in semi autos, they have always been very good performers in the revolvers in all calibers. The 145 STHP in .357 is a very good defensive load.
    It was the FBI issued .357 load in the mid '80's before the switch to auto pistols.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

With my 4" GP100 and 4" Security Six I run both with 125gr .38 Special +P cartridges; for carry I use Remington Golden Saber, for practice and matches I use their less expensive, but analog Remington/UMC. While the .38 Special +P cartridges aren't as potent per se as the 125 gr .357 magnum, I prefer the increased controllability and decreased time between splits, and feel that I still have a credible defensive load. My GP is run with a compact Letts grip, the Security Six with a custom Trausch grip.

Conversely, in my 4.6" Blackhawk .357, I exclusively use 158 grain .357 magnums cartridges-both for practice and hunting. My hinting cartridge of choice is Hornaday Custom XTP 158 gr; my default practice load is Sellier & Bellot 158 gr fodder.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    My hinting cartridge of choice is Hornaday Custom XTP 158 gr; my default practice load is Sellier & Bellot 158 gr fodder.

Best, Jon
    I didn't think the .357 magnum was that subtle a caliber.

You'll have to excuse me, I'm in a silly mood.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    It's a hell of a clue dispenser.

User Tag List