Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bureau of Prisons qualification course

Bureau of Prisons qualification course

I'm looking for a copy of the federal Bureau of Prisons qualification course. I have student in an upcoming class that wants to do his LEOSA qual during the course.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I asked a college buddy who is BOP and he said you should call your nearest FCI and ask as the answer is not uniform nationwide...or at least isn't executed uniformly. When I asked about what target is used, and strings of fire/time limits, he said it varies where you are and at his FCI they don't use a time limit.

I'm just curious, is this information you already have?

All I got was:

12 rounds at 3 yards
    18 rounds at 7 yards
    21/30 needed to pass.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-14-2016 at 07:18 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I asked a college buddy who is BOP and he said you should call your nearest FCI and ask as the answer is not uniform nationwide...or at least isn't executed uniformly. When I asked about what target is used, and strings of fire/time limits, he said it varies where you are and at his FCI they don't use a time limit.

I'm just curious, is this information you already have?

All I got was:

12 rounds at 3 yards
    18 rounds at 7 yards
    21/30 needed to pass.

The guy told me rounds at 3 and 7, but he had no further info.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I'm looking for a copy of the federal Bureau of Prisons qualification course. I have student in an upcoming class that wants to do his LEOSA qual during the course.
    Is he a BOP retiree?

Per LEOSA, retired peace officers shoot the state course of fire for active duty officers in their state of residence. This includes retired federal officers. So if he lives in Georgia he would shoot the Georgia POST course.

http://le.nra.org/leosa/frequently-asked-questions.aspx
    Last edited by HCM; 11-14-2016 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Is he a BOP retiree?

Per LEOSA, retired peace officers shoot the state course of fire for active duty officers in their state of residence. This includes retired federal officers. So if he lives in Georgia he would shoot the Georgia POST course.

http://le.nra.org/leosa/frequently-asked-questions.aspx

I see this:

2. The agency who qualifies me wants me to shoot their uniformed officer course of fire, rather than an off-duty or back-up course of fire. What does the law require?
    The law is not clear, and only requires an individual to meet the active duty standards for qualification. An individual exercising their rights under LEOSA is not provided with the authority to act as a law enforcement officer, and is simply authorized to carry a concealed firearm based on their status. Accordingly, it would be advisable for agencies to use the off-duty or back-up course of fire. Mandating the use of uniformed standards requires an individual to meet standards designed for law enforcement purposes, while an individual carrying a firearm under LEOSA is not acting as a law enforcement officer, as they are either retired, or out of their jurisdiction.

------------

The above does not state what you are referencing unless I am missing something.

Site Supporter
    I see this:

2. The agency who qualifies me wants me to shoot their uniformed officer course of fire, rather than an off-duty or back-up course of fire. What does the law require?
    The law is not clear, and only requires an individual to meet the active duty standards for qualification. An individual exercising their rights under LEOSA is not provided with the authority to act as a law enforcement officer, and is simply authorized to carry a concealed firearm based on their status. Accordingly, it would be advisable for agencies to use the off-duty or back-up course of fire. Mandating the use of uniformed standards requires an individual to meet standards designed for law enforcement purposes, while an individual carrying a firearm under LEOSA is not acting as a law enforcement officer, as they are either retired, or out of their jurisdiction.

------------

The above does not state what you are referencing unless I am missing something.

Look at 18 USC 926C (c) (4)

4) during the most recent 12-month period, has met, at the expense of the individual, the standards for qualification in firearms training for active law enforcement officers, as determined by the former agency of the individual, the State in which the individual resides or, if the State has not established such standards, either a law enforcement agency within the State in which the individual resides or the standards used by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State;
    The guidance we have received is that The former agency of the individual language only applies if the officer is qualifying with their former agency. As far as I know, federal agencies, at least those within the department of justice (BOP) and the Department of Homeland Security are prohibited from conducting qualifications for retirees.

For example, our local retirees shoot the state of Texas TCOLE course of fire at the local sheriffs office once a year to maintain their LEOSA eligibility.

If your BOP retiree is a Georgia resident, you can have him shoot the Georgia POST course of fire and he will be good to go.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-15-2016 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Look at 18 USC 926C (c) (4)

The guidance we have received is that The former agency of the individual language only applies if the officer is qualifying with their former agency. As far as I know, federal agencies, at least those within the department of justice (BOP) and the Department of Homeland Security are prohibited from conducting qualifications for retirees.

For example, our local retirees shoot the state of Texas TCOLE course of fire at the local sheriffs office once a year to maintain their LEOSA eligibility.

If your BOP retiree is a Georgia resident, you can have him shoot the Georgia POST course of fire and he will be good to go.
    Concur with all the above. Our guidance is that we CAN NOT qualify retirees for the purpose of LEOSA, and that our retirees need to shoot with a state/local agency using their qualification course of fire.

4) during the most recent 12-month period, has met, at the expense of the individual, the standards for qualification in firearms training for active law enforcement officers, as determined by the former agency of the individual, the State in which the individual resides or, if the State has not established such standards, either a law enforcement agency within the State in which the individual resides or the standards used by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State;
    That still doesn't state what you are asserting. The above passages gives three different options including meeting the active standards of the agency from which the person retired.

Let me break this down to make sure I'm not missing anything. The three options the quoted passage gives are:

1-the standards for qualification in firearms training for active law enforcement officers, as determined by the former agency of the individual

Does not this mean that the current course for active members of the retiree's agency would meet the standard?

2-the State in which the individual resides

This would give the option of shooting a state level course.

3-or, if the State has not established such standards, either a law enforcement agency within the State in which the individual resides or the standards used by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State;

This gives a wide latitude to individual firearms instructors. My state allows for the use of alternate courses of fire so long as they meet or exceed the state course. I can qualify any GA officer on courses other than "the" state approved course.

Last edited by jlw; 11-15-2016 at 10:36 AM.

Site Supporter
    That still doesn't state what you are asserting. The above passages gives three different options including meeting the active standards of the agency from which the person retired.
    The reason our agency/attorneys have stated the agency standards only apply if you were qualifying with your agency is because the standard for federal agencies usually includes the qualification being conducted/certified by an agency certified firearms instructor. Many other federal agencies or similar.

For example, if one of my officers is working TDY with Psalms 144, and Psalms runs him through our COF on our target, it is still not an official qualification meeting our agency standards because Psalms is not certified as a firearms instructor in with my agency.

This is getting into how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. As a practical matter if retirees from 10 different state local and federal agencies show up at the range on retiree day it is much easier to conduct one state course of fire for everybody which satisfies the legal requirement.

User Tag List