Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Helping an LEO in trouble...

Helping an LEO in trouble...

I've seen hypotheticals discussed many times... Let's discuss a real life incident.
    ESTERO, Fla. — A passerby shot and killed a person who was fighting with a Lee County Sheriff’s Office deputy on Interstate 75 Monday morning.

Deputy First Class Dean Bardes, a 12-year-veteran, was working an accident at mile marker 126 when the suspect came upon him, causing Bardes to pursue him, according to multiple sources.

Bardes and the suspect exited their vehicles at the Corkscrew Road exit and a fight started, sources said.

The passerby, who had a Concealed Weapons License, exited his vehicle and instructed the suspect to stop beating the deputy, sources said.

After noncompliance from the suspect, the passerby shot the suspect three times, sources said. The suspect later died...
    ETA - Gotta go coach my son's hockey. Sorry to post and run.
    Last edited by Shellback; 11-14-2016 at 04:27 PM.

So many variables involved to say what one would do but as a general rule I would get involved if doing so would (1) not endanger my family - assuming they are with me and (2) not make the situation worse for the officer. I have no issue putting myself (alone or if family out of harms way) in danger to assist an LEO in need.

I actually jumped out to assist a local deputy a few years ago. He was chasing a guy from a traffic stop in Walmart parking lot. Perp had been using stolen CC inside. Deputy was NEVER going to catch this guy in a foot chase. I cut him off and drove him back toward the deputy.

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    So many variables involved to say what one would do but as a general rule I would get involved if doing so would (1) not endanger my family - assuming they are with me and (2) not make the situation worse for the officer. I have no issue putting myself (alone or if family out of harms way) in danger to assist an LEO in need.
    I'm of the same frame of mind. I would not stand idly by if an officer was in need of assistance.

My biggest worry would be not getting mowed down by responding officers by having my weapon drawn and in his direction. I guess a phone call to 911 to tell them what was up would help, but then the correct info needs to be passed along to FR's.. seems dicey either way. I'd like to think I'd help the officer, but I think I'd go football punt kick to the head first. Who knows.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    My biggest worry would be not getting mowed down by responding officers by having my weapon drawn and in his direction. I guess a phone call to 911 to tell them what was up would help, but then the correct info needs to be passed along to FR's.. seems dicey either way. I'd like to think I'd help the officer, but I think I'd go football punt kick to the head first. Who knows.
    The time I did jump out I had my wife dial 911 and relay what was happening, what I was wearing/physical descrip. vs the perp, etc.

It's all fun and games right up to the point when the next officer shows up and you are the only one holding a gun. The outcome is not going to be pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    It's all fun and games right up to the point when the next officer shows up and you are the only one holding a gun. The outcome is not going to be pretty.
    so he should of let the deputy get beat to death? Shoot bad guy and holster up.. if cop shows up and tells you to drop it, drop it. Obviously more variable then that but if your first reaction is to shoot without identifying who the hell your shooting, you need better training. I have never been a police officer but being someone who used to need PID to shoot in a foreign country, I really hope our cops are doing the same domestically..
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 11-14-2016 at 10:57 PM.

I like that scenario. No need to have the gun out screaming "I'll choot you punk!". Make decision, execute proper AIWB draw, shoot the perp, follow through to make sure perp no longer a threat, reholster.
    i used to wannabe

This is why I have a 1.5 foot length of 1" electrical conduit in both vehicles (also, sometimes a length of copper wire is useful for other things).

I'm fairly confident in my ability to outmaneuver a lone dickbag on top of a victim for a solid whack to the gourd.

I'd rather not risk hitting a LEO or other innocent/likely innocent unless the attacker is using a deadly weapon, if I have the option. The way things are going anymore, I'm very inclined to lend aid. If it was clear there were no other nearby hostiles, I'd be more inclined to try and help with an impact weapon or hands than take a shot in the above scenario.

I totally support those not willing to take that physical risk and just taking the shot if confident in it.

Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    Can you post any examples of this happening? I don't disagree with you, I'm just wondering how frequently something like that happens.

This compiled list, I'm unsure of it's accuracy or if it's been updated, points to the opposite at first glance.
    Last edited by Shellback; 11-15-2016 at 06:14 AM.

User Tag List