Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 86 Burglars Interviewed

86 Burglars Interviewed

An interesting article on the mindset & tactics of some of the bad guys.
    Do you ever wonder whether your home security system or “Beware of Dog” sign actually keeps burglars away?

We did too. So KGW's investigative team sent letters to 86 inmates currently serving time for burglary in the Oregon Department of Corrections. The inmates were asked to respond anonymously to 17 questions detailing how they broke in, when the crime occurred and what they were looking for...

1. How did you typically break into a home or apartment?

Most inmates broke in through an unlocked door or window. Several burglars kicked the door open.

“I would kick in the door rather than break glass. Loud bangs are better than loud glass breaking, plus you run the risk of getting cut,” said one inmate...

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
    An interesting article on the mindset & tactics of some of the bad guys.
    I note they didn't ask if any of them worried about getting shot on the job. The survey was not conducted in Texas.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    They are idiots if they think anonymous self reporting from criminals is honest feedback.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 11-14-2016 at 01:28 PM.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    They are idiots if they think anonymous self reporting from criminals is honest feedback.
    Most of their answers seem fairly congruent to what I've heard in that past. Not sure if I believe the "know how to disable an alarm" thing, though. They all mentioned they knocked on the door first, and had an answer prepped in case anyone came to the door.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I note they didn't ask if any of them worried about getting shot on the job. The survey was not conducted in Texas.
    I read another article where most, if not all, of the inmates said an armed homeowner was their biggest fear.

All the references to criminals and inmates, I thought they should be referred to as "Students" one of them may read this and be offended or even have their feelings hurt.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Most of their answers seem fairly congruent to what I've heard in that past. Not sure if I believe the "know how to disable an alarm" thing, though. They all mentioned they knocked on the door first, and had an answer prepped in case anyone came to the door.
    I'm not saying everything is false. However, from years of interviewing criminals, they are always smarter, better prepared, more skilled, etc. in the interview than they were in the real crime. Ditto the survey that floated around where all the bad guys were claiming to use large caliber quality guns. Doesn't match with what's actually taken off mopes. Their mouths are full of .50 Deagles, their pockets are full of Raven .25s. Same here. Ego, what they wished they'd done, etc. comes across in self reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    All the references to criminals and inmates, I thought they should be referred to as "Students" one of them may read this and be offended or even have their feelings hurt.
    That was in WA. This survey was in OR.

Appropriately enough, locally the PD says most burglaries are committed by high school students during their lunch/study hall periods...
    Last edited by Drang; 11-14-2016 at 09:57 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'm not saying everything is false. However, from years of interviewing criminals, they are always smarter, better prepared, more skilled, etc. in the interview than they were in the real crime. Ditto the survey that floated around where all the bad guys were claiming to use large caliber quality guns. Doesn't match with what's actually taken off mopes. Their mouths are full of .50 Deagles, their pockets are full of Raven .25s. Same here. Ego, what they wished they'd done, etc. comes across in self reporting.

Just an "outsider" question - if these guys were as good as they said, how is it they're in jail?

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Just an "outsider" question - if these guys were as good as they said, how is it they're in jail?
    Here, we catch a lot of them when little Johnny or little Sally are home from school sick and call when they creep around to the back door and kick it open.

Knocking on the front door to see if anyone is home is a very common tactic where I patrol.

Observant neighbors who are retired are also adept at calling in the suspicious dudes. We show up and find the guy.....usually toting a pillow case full of stolen wares. Other units check the houses until they find the one with the kicked in back door.

These aren't criminal masterminds. They are usually dope addicts that are looking for guns, computers, jewelry, etc.

Regards
    Last edited by lwt16; 11-15-2016 at 07:30 AM.

User Tag List