Thread: Off body carry?

Off body carry?

I see places where people buy a maxpedition bag, and put their pistol in it. (My Emdom TNT bag has a holster slot that's had a gun in it 3 times.)

is this better than on-body carry somehow?

is the goal to be able to remove it? do you leave it behind?

The only time I ever used the holster pouch in the emdom bag was on a long car trip, when I thought I might need to buy a hacksaw and remove a rib (the holster didn't fit me at all at the time) so I moved it to the bag for a little while.

What scenarios make such a setup useful?

Thanks!

i'm interested to hear thoughts on off body carry as well. i've considered keeping my EDC in a gym bag while working out but i'm leery of this because you cant always keep an eye on it.

for car trips i will sometimes have the gun holstered in the center counsel or door panel.

We are diminished
    Off body carry should be seen as something you do because on-body carry is impossible. For example, when I worked at Beretta we had inventory control policies that prevented anyone from walking in the door with a gun. So my pistol stayed in a fanny pack in my car (in a secure parking lot). On my way to and from the factory, and when I was out at lunch, I'd wear the fanny pack.

I've seen some very well known guys in this industry walk out of a restaurant only to rush back in a while later shouting, "Has anyone seen a fanny pack?"

The biggest complaint I have with console/dashboard/glovebox type carry, or even the guys who go so far as to install a dedicated holster in the car, is that (a) crazy stuff happens when cars get into accidents and (b) it's an extra step requiring one if not both hands to get the gun when I may need to exit the car with haste.

A gun worn in a holster on the body is always there. Plenty of holster options are available that are comfortable for long drives, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    The biggest complaint I have with console/dashboard/glovebox type carry, or even the guys who go so far as to install a dedicated holster in the car, is that (a) crazy stuff happens when cars get into accidents ...
    Speaking as a volunteer firefighter/EMT, if you're in an accident, PLEASE let us know(if you can) that there's a loaded weapon in the passenger compartment. If we have to cut/ram/pry with hydraulic or manual tools a loose firearm could be a bad thing.

We recently had a class with a local LEO about how to deal with officer's equipment and police-car equipment in an accident situation. Given the various holster retention devices that could be encountered, we concluded that the safest move would be to remove the whole duty belt instead of fumbling with the firearm.

If you've got a small local rescue squad, they might be interested in some basic firearm familiarization training. You might be able to "trade" for some first aid training. It's a good way to build bridges.
    Last edited by peterb; 03-03-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    For example, when I worked at Beretta we had inventory control policies that prevented anyone from walking in the door with a gun.
    Ran into a similarish situation yesterday. Had to unexpectedly run from work to the Post Office. Trying to slip off your normal carry rig and tuck your shirt back in in the car, then reversing the process when you get back is not fun.

I don't think off-body carry should be considered unless there is no other option. For example: I left LE to move to MT with my wife after she got a good job up here. I never bothered to get a CCW because as a LEO I didn't need one. Well, cop jobs in MT are few and far between, and MT requires you be a resident for 6 months before you can get a CCW. You don't need a CCW to carry outside the city limits but you do to carry in town. However, in MT, a purse, briefcase, backpack, etc is considered luggage, and carrying a firearm in luggage is legal without a permit. So my Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack (manpurse) is my only legal option aside from open carry to be armed while in town. While not a preferred, or even recommended method of carry, sometimes it is the only option.

Just saw this:
    http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gears...rmor-rad-pack/

It's a normal-looking backpack that includes a hidden front plate holder and holster.

"You can go from being an average unnoticed citizen and in under 2 seconds deploy a full armor system with a weapon giving you an unexpected advantage over would-be shooters or assailants."

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Just saw this:
    http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gears...rmor-rad-pack/

It's a normal-looking backpack that includes a hidden front plate holder and holster.

"You can go from being an average unnoticed citizen and in under 2 seconds deploy a full armor system with a weapon giving you an unexpected advantage over would-be shooters or assailants."
    That thing is a bad prop from "24".

User Tag List