Thread: Removing acrylic paint from front sight?

Removing acrylic paint from front sight?

Used some Hobby Lobby pain on my front sight, want to go back to black.

What would be the best way to remove acrylic? Rubbing alcohol? Ammonia?

Acetone, fingernail polish remover (acetone), or lacquer thinner would likely work.

Ive removed the paint used to fill lettering on Commemorative Winchesters with Shooters Choice bore solvent and a bronze bore brush.

Site Supporter
    Get the 100% pure acetone variety of nail polish remover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Will acetone damage the Glock finish it would it be best to remove the sight first?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Will acetone damage the Glock finish it would it be best to remove the sight first?

Unknown but a literal dab of 100% acetone ( FP remover) on the end of a Q-tip is that is typically all that is needed such that removal of the front sight should not be needed.
    I base this on the degreasing, painting FP and removing FP on/from a number of front sights.

If it is the stock plastic Glock front sight, I would *not* use Acetone. There is a good chance it can react with the plastic.
    If the hobby lobby stuff is acrylic *lacquer*, you can get it off with a light application of naphtha, which typically will not harm plastic. If it is acrylic artist's paint, ammonia will do a fine job. in neither instance will you need to remove the front sight. just rinse it with a little water and dry it with a blow dryer.

If the sights are aftermarket aluminum, I'd stay away from ammonia, and instead use alcohol or naphtha.

Lex "29 years a commercial artist and 14 years a guitar finisher" Luthier
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

They are Ameriglo Defoor sights so I should be good to go. Thank you.

User Tag List